my new BPTR rifles arrived today

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

my new BPTR rifles arrived today

Post by gunlaker »

I jut wanted to say thank you to the people at Shiloh for building such excellent rifles. I really appreciate what you guys are doing.

My new BPTR rifles arrived today and I can hardly wait until the matches start this spring.

The new rifles are both Long Range Express models, one for Creedmoor, and one for Mid-Range. The Creedmoor is chambered in .45-2.4" and has a 34" 1:16 wist barrel with windgage front sight, the midrange is another .40-65, but with a 1:14 twist and a 32" barrel.

Both are set up for MVA sights or scopes. I'm looking forward to next season!

Chris.
Lumpy Grits

Re: my new BPTR rifles arrived today

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Pictures, or else. :P
Why the 1/16 rot on the .45 cal?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Pictures, or else. :P
Why the 1/16 rot on the .45 cal?
Gary
I'll try and take a few pictures tonight.

I chose 1:16 twist for the .45-2.4 just to increase the stabilization factor a little for long range. Lots of people are doing well with that twist in the Creedmoor matches and I pay a lot of attention to what the top shooters are doing. :-) I have a highwall in .45-90 with a 1:16 twist Green Mountain barrel and, contrary to popular internet myth, it'll even shoot short 500gr bullets with superb accuracy.

I will see how well it shoots next week. At least at 220 & 300 yards which is as far as I can do until the Phoenix 1000 yard match. Since the new rifle has the same chamber front end as my .45-70's I will use the same bullet ( BACO 459530M4 ), primer, and wad combo, but start with them seated out 0.3" further.

I've got a lot of work to do before Phoenix with fire forming and case prep, as well as getting sights & scope set up for dead wind zero, chronograph testing, and a the rest of it. If all goes well I think I'll be able to come up with a load that will outdo my Borchardt in .45-2.4 by Phoenix-time.

Chris.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

TNX Chris, I'm not that 'up' on the 1/16 in .45 cal Shiloh barrels.
Both of ours is the 1/18. Both shoot the PJ 45001 Creedmoor bullet, very well.
Like to hear of your progress.
G.
johnl

Post by johnl »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Pictures, or else. :P

Gary

Chris to quote Lump, where are the pictures :lol: And Lumpy, where are your pictures. We showed you ours, don’t be shy :lol: :D
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

That is-I'm sorry to say-way above my 'puter skills. :oops:
G.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

The 16 twist 45s and the 14 twist 40s..... Were requested a few years back in Tolloffson rifles by some nut jobs out of Wyoming.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Who were the nut jobs
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote:The 16 twist 45s and the 14 twist 40s..... Were requested a few years back in Tolloffson rifles by some nut jobs out of Wyoming.

Kenny Wasserburger.
Watching those nut jobs shoot probably put the idea into my head to order these particular rifles :D

Chris.
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

"So come on baby let's do those twists".
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Great news Chris, both the new arrivals and your appearance at Phoenix for the 8 day shoot.
Midrange and Long Range I presume, EH? :D :D :D :D

As for the 16 twist in 45 caliber BPCR rifles there has been considerable space consumed on this forum on the subject introduced by Dan T and his rendition money bullet.

A condensed version from this point of view is to give a "slight edge" at long range in unstable conditions.
For example the difference between an 18 twist and a 16 twist with a bullet up to 1.45" long is minimal on the computer screen...........and in the minds of many.

However, there is a difference between a miss and a 6 in score on the target and the supposition/observation is the faster spinning bullet is less affected subsonic than is the slower spinning bullet by unstable conditions.
The goal is NOT to shoot a longer bullet but to spin the bullet faster to help minimize spin decay and deflection.

In good stable conditions the difference on the target and hence score is likely miniscule. :?

BUT, when Mariah and Windy Shear show up the nod goes to the 44 or 45 in 16 twist. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

faster twists.
improved bullet stability.
increased yaw of repose.
slightly reduced b.c. and increased spindrift.
the above is theoretically important, but is totally overridden by the effect of such things as wind shear on b.c.
this will give a temporary loss of b.c. far greater than the fast twist.
so overall the fast twist wins.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I spent a while trying to take some decent pictures. There just isn't enough light here to get any sort of quality pictures. The rifles do look very nice though ;-)

Zack I will definitely be in Phoenix but will only shoot the four day 1000 yard match. I'd love to shoot the rest of it but my wife would rebel. We are likely going to spend an extra day or two in Phoenix and hike in the Superstition Mountains instead.

I plan on shooting either the tapered Baco 459530M4 or the full diameter 458535M bullets. These are the ones that I have enough cast to do some load development as well as shoot the match. My casting shack is closed for the winter otherwise I'd have another couple of bullets to try. Both are around 1.45" or so long and cast in 16:1. My Shiloh in .45-70 likes the 459530M4 with 73gr of Swiss or 70gr of OE 1.5. Today I'll how much powder I need with zero compression and that bullet. The 458535M will use a lot less powder as it has a lot more bullet in the case.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

See you at the 1,000 yard line then. I will have a Canadian flag if you forget yours.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote:See you at the 1,000 yard line then. I will have a Canadian flag if you forget yours.
I'll bring my Canadian flag. I've got to find an American one to match it so I can fly them both together.

Chris.