my new BPTR rifles arrived today

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

johnl

Re: my new BPTR rifles arrived today

Post by johnl »

Hey Chris, the sun finally came out, it will be out for few days...post some pictures :lol: You got me thinking about a getting a creedmore rifle.

Thanks John :wink:
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

What would the 'perfect' Creedmoor rifle look like?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

gunlaker wrote:I spent a while trying to take some decent pictures. There just isn't enough light here to get any sort of quality pictures. The rifles do look very nice though ;-) Chris.
Just post a couple of pic's off the internet (Shiloh's website?). Nobody here will know the difference. ;)
Good luck in Phoenix.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Bucksnort

A duplicate of an original sharps 74 creedmoor rifle would weigh less than ten pounds, have a single trigger no lighter than 3 pounds pull. Sure are sleek looking in the model 77. Not so sleek and beautiful to some eyes in the 78.

Today's 74 probably, in my mind, would have a high comb long range butt stock without cheek piece offset 3/4 inch, pistol grip, sharp checkering, 16 twist, double set triggers, heavy 34" round barrel and leave Big Timber weighing just over 14 1/2 pounds with sights. I would have to mull over whether it would be 45-90 or 45-100, today I would go with the 90.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

2.6" for greasers.
2.4" for pp.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Desert deuce,
The reason I ask is because I was looking through Seller's book, and reading about the 'target' guns used at Creedmoor. Since I have a LRE in .45-90 (hvy-oct bbl), I've been contemplating a 'mid-range' rifle. The 1877s, with round barrel looks really NICE. Maybe an 1877, .40-70 ss, 32-inch, polished barrel, with ebony, rounded schnable. There is a group that fire 1K gong matches. Thanks.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bucksnort, add checkering and the Rigby rib and our rifles would be twins. :)
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Bucksnort, if you intend to shoot the full program of midrange keep in mind that includes offhand at 200 yards and sitting at 300 yards before you get to 600 yards for position.

I prefer round barrels and on a 77 they look particularly fitting, sleek even.

I shoot at a 44" diameter steel disk at 1,000 yards for practice or load development and that is the extent of my gong shooting.

You may want to consider a silhouette legal rifle for your midrange rifle just in case that bug bites.

I considered a 40-70 SS in comparison to a 40-65 for midrange and silhouette in 1995. Practically speaking in 1995 it was no contest, the 40-65 won. Never looked back. Both my 40-65's shoot better than my ability out to 600 yards.

I can understand those with a nostalgic or romantic bent looking at the 40-70 SS today and waxing poetic but I passed that fork in the road over 20 years ago.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
johnl

Post by johnl »

Lumpy Grits wrote:That is-I'm sorry to say-way above my 'puter skills. :oops:
G.

Hey Lump I’ll offer a free service of posting some pictures of your guns free of charge, I’ll consider it a community service for a fine advancing gent :lol: