Cleaning rods for leaded barrel cleaning, what do you use?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Cleaning rods for leaded barrel cleaning, what do you use?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Morning all,

I've been a bullet caster and shooter for a long time but almost all of it has been with revolvers and pistols. Have dealt with leading in the past but usually not an issue and easy (relatively) to clean up. For tough jobs I'd just grab my outers foul-out machine and wa-la, done a short time later. My heaviest revolver is a Hamilton Bowen 5 shot 45 colt Ruger bisley. Shoots 342gr GC bullets at about 1,375 fps out of a 5.5" bbl. Will have some light gray streaks on top of the lands near muzzle but can literally shoot hundreds of rounds with no change or effect on accuracy.

Moving forward to the longer barrels it looks like it is a foregone conclusion that lead WILL be an issue at some point no matter how good a caster/reloader you are. Some conditions will just produce leading and you have to deal with it.

Which leads to my question: What cleaning rods do you all use for lead removal? The majority of my rods are SS in 22 cal, multi purpose to cleaning pretty much everything. These rods are great when just using a brush or a normal fitting jag but it sounds like with lead removal there is a lot more force used with the tight patches and gunzilla/turpintine etc. These 22 rods will have too much flex to handle that, not to mention the typical length of BPCR barrels.

When working on lead removal do you typically modify a brass case by drilling out the primer pocket to use the case as a "bore guide" to help keep the rod straight?

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Wade
Don McDowell

Re: Cleaning rods for leaded barrel cleaning, what do you use?

Post by Don McDowell »

If you can find one of the Tipton carbon fiber rods for the large bores those work great in the 44 and up, but to big to go down the bore of a 40.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The use of a muzzle and or a chamber guide goes along way to preventing chamber/bore markings.
These are about the best I have ever found.
https://deweyrods.com/product-category/ ... dual-rods/

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Here ya go: https://shilohrifle.com/cleaning-suppli ... ng-handle/

Long enough for a 34" barrel and you will not smash your hand and rod handle into a folded down tang sight. Buy one and you'll never look back....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

I am very pleased with the durability and performance of the Tipton Carbon Fiber rods for all around use,
and in particular for the rare time when I have to pound very tight Turpentine patches thru a barrel to remove lead.
The design of the Tipton is such that one can use a rawhide or "dead " type mallet to drive the patch/rod thru.
The Steel "head" and "core" of the handle is solidly attached to the carbon fiber rod, and the handle only spins freely around it.
beltfed/arnie
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

AND, I am more confident that the carbon fiber rod will not scuff the lands,etc in the barrel as
compared to a steel or stainless steel rod.
I do know that the Dewey and Parker Hale rod handle designs will NOT stand up to driving with a mallet.....
beltfed/arnie
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

Great suggestions one and all. I currently have a RB with a 30" barrel and have an 1877 on order that maaaaay have a 32" tube on it. I would actually like a 34" tube to match the old Creedmoor rifles but my understanding is that with 34" tube there may be excessive fouling issues near the muzzle. I plan to blow tube, at least initially.

So, given 30-32" in tube, what LENGTH rod to you recommend? Ray made a good point of being able to clear the muzzle without knocking the skin off your knuckles on the vernier sight. I can measure it myself, just curious as to the lengths everyone is using.

Cheers!

Wade
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

The longest Tipton 40 plus caliber carbon fiber rod I can find is 36". Do I have that right or does Tipton make a longer version of the 40 plus cal carbon rod?

Cheers!

Wade

Arnie, how long is your rod and what "caliber"? Thx!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I have a 34" .45-70 Hartford and the fouling is no worst than my 30" .45-90 #1.
I also BT most of the time.
Gary
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Wade,
I have 4 Tipton graphite rods:
1- 22 cal x 36"
1-22 cal x 44"
1-30cal and up x 36"
1-30cal and up x 44"
Those are all the actual rod length.
The handles are about 6.5" .
The 44" rods nicely clear the tang sight, and reach thru long barrels easily.
One thing: I also make up 12" lengths of Poly tubing that slips in the chamber of my 40s and 45s and serve as a rod guide to
prevent the rod rubbing on the tang sight, and guide the rod in the chamber. Use them on my delrin wiping rods as well.

the 30 cal and up is sturdy/stiff enough that I have pounded the very tight turpentine patches successfully thru
and cleaning up a 40 cal as well as 45 cal of some lead they picked up.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Arnie,

Thanks for the update on the rod sizes. Was wondering if a 30 cal would work of if I had to go up to the .40 plus diameter. Now what EXACTLY is "poly tubing"? Got a pic? There are more kinds of tubing than you can shake a stick at, not familiar with the term "poly tubing". Assuming it is something that comes straight, not off a spool. Anything off a spool will have a curve to it that is about impossible to get out and I'd think the drag on the rod would be a PITA or is the tube short enough that it really is not an issue?

Gary,

Glad to hear the feedback on the 34". Next question, how does that 34 incher work when your shootin' chickens off your hind legs? Pretty sure my 1877 will be 45-70, don't know if a 34 incher will make weight, question for Kirk I guess!

Cheers!

Wade
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Here's an article on the subject that I authored a couple of years ago that you may find interesting.

http://www.texas-mac.com/BPCR_Cleaning_ ... _Rods.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Trigger1212 wrote:Arnie,

Gary,

Glad to hear the feedback on the 34". Next question, how does that 34 incher work when your shootin' chickens off your hind legs? Pretty sure my 1877 will be 45-70, don't know if a 34 incher will make weight, question for Kirk I guess!

Cheers!

Wade
---------------------------------------------------------------
The mod 74, 34" hvy bbl .45-70 Hartford is a plink'n gun. That '77 is a lighter rec'r, and just might w/34" std bbl. Ask Kirk or Lucinda.
My competition gun, is my 30" hvy bbl #1 in .45-90. Easily makes weight,when I remove the 16oz mercury recoil reducer from the stock.
G.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Wade,
First, I found a Tipton 27-45 cal rod in 44 inch long on Amazon
for about $32 and free shipping.
Second, send me your email address via PM and I will send you pics of my
cleaning/wiping rod and bore guide/tang sight protector..
I just don't have the knowhow to put the pics in this website forum
beltfed/arnie
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Wade,
Another thing. YOu mentioned shooting chickens with your prospective 34 inch 1877.
Personally for better all around use I would get a 30" or at most a 32 for better balance
in Offulhand and still very viable for all else.
beltfed/arnie