sights

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ksbreed123

sights

Post by ksbreed123 »

somebody help me out here...deciding on front and rear sights for my rifle. what is the difference in the soule long range verneer tang sight and the c.sharps 103 long range buffalo sight and the soule xlr sight.other than about 50.00 i don't see a difference.i just don't want to pay extra for a name.
also i see a 10-039 rear sight.any help would be much accepted.
bobw

Re: sights

Post by bobw »

Buffalo Soule XLR has more windage and staff height. It will easily accommodate 1 mile shots and then some while the normal LR height is inadequate for 1 mile distances unless you buy or fabricate a height extender. 414 moa elev for the XLR and 88 MOA windage vs 289 moa and 44 MOA windage for the LR Soule sight. I don't know what the specs are on the C Sharps sight. bobw
bobw
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The MVA Buffalo Soule has a total of 88 minutes of windage. That is twice what the STD Soule has.
I have the MVA LR Buffalo Soule, with the smaller Hadley eyecup and MVA #113 front sight. Could not be more pleased with them on my Shiloh #1.
C. Sharps does not have a 'Buffalo Soule' that I could find.........
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Keep it simple, if you don't want to spend the money for and MVA, the only other viable option for a soule sight is a Baldwin.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
johnhayes41

Post by johnhayes41 »

Baldwin makes a nice product plus excellent service. john
johnhayes41

Post by johnhayes41 »

Baldwin makes a nice product plus excellent service. john
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Another vote for Baldwin. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
ksbreed123

Post by ksbreed123 »

probally the sights i have on the rifle right now will do better than i can shoot it..i seen mva sights which are the same as c. sharps only higher priced.the soule xlr seems to have the elevation and the #112 is the best front sight so i thank everyone who responded for their input but to get the best i gotta pay the price. thanks again guys
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

ksbreed123 wrote:probally the sights i have on the rifle right now will do better than i can shoot it..i seen mva sights which are the same as c. sharps only higher priced.the soule xlr seems to have the elevation and the #112 is the best front sight so i thank everyone who responded for their input but to get the best i gotta pay the price. thanks again guys
Don't fool yourself, there's a reason C Sharps sights are cheaper than MVA...
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Don McDowell wrote:
ksbreed123 wrote:probally the sights i have on the rifle right now will do better than i can shoot it..i seen mva sights which are the same as c. sharps only higher priced.the soule xlr seems to have the elevation and the #112 is the best front sight so i thank everyone who responded for their input but to get the best i gotta pay the price. thanks again guys
Don't fool yourself, there's a reason C Sharps sights are cheaper than MVA...
YUP-The same reason, that MVA sells so many of theirs- :wink:
G.
ksbreed123

Post by ksbreed123 »

my last post was not what i wanted to say but i guess after looking at 3 catalogs at one time i got confused so i am sorry for my stupidity. i took off the rear tang sight and noticed that the only sight i can find that looks like it is the c. sharps long range sight.the weight match and the height measures the same.my rear sight has 20 notches for each inch of height for a total of 70 notches.there is a windage above the elevator which i haven't counted as of yet.on the bottom of the sight base it says mva .438 but i assume thats the dovetail info,so i ordered a 112 with a bubble and the no. 2 disc set. if the 112 is the same as the one i took off then i''ll have a couple of extra ones because the 113 is the one want when i get the xlr soule.if anyone can tell me anything about those 20 marks between the inches i'd like to know. i have some molds i need info on too..1)457191 after casting they are about 482 grains and come out of the mold at 458 if my bore is 4575 i dont think i will even size them just shoot them after i lub them 2)457677 this is the paul williams design and use a sizer in 459 which doesn't size anything but i can lube them 3)457132 which my bullets come out around 458 buy i size the at 457 they weight from 526 thru 560.getting ready to but a brooks mold in 550 and another one in 580.think i got the molds for my marlin cowboy and i'll have the two brooks and the lyman postell for long range. does any of people shoot the 457677?it must have some good things about it or lyman would not have made it. the lighter bullets are to be used in my 1895 marlin cowboy if anyone can tell me what kind of rear sight have i would dance a jig
ksbreed123

Post by ksbreed123 »

my last post was not what i wanted to say but i guess after looking at 3 catalogs at one time i got confused so i am sorry for my stupidity. i took off the rear tang sight and noticed that the only sight i can find that looks like it is the c. sharps long range sight.the weight match and the height measures the same.my rear sight has 20 notches for each inch of height for a total of 70 notches.there is a windage above the elevator which i haven't counted as of yet.on the bottom of the sight base it says mva .438 but i assume thats the dovetail info,so i ordered a 112 with a bubble and the no. 2 disc set. if the 112 is the same as the one i took off then i''ll have a couple of extra ones because the 113 is the one want when i get the xlr soule.if anyone can tell me anything about those 20 marks between the inches i'd like to know. i have some molds i need info on too..1)457191 after casting they are about 482 grains and come out of the mold at 458 if my bore is 4575 i dont think i will even size them just shoot them after i lub them 2)457677 this is the paul williams design and use a sizer in 459 which doesn't size anything but i can lube them 3)457132 which my bullets come out around 458 buy i size the at 457 they weight from 526 thru 560.getting ready to but a brooks mold in 550 and another one in 580.think i got the molds for my marlin cowboy and i'll have the two brooks and the lyman postell for long range. does any of people shoot the 457677?it must have some good things about it or lyman would not have made it. the lighter bullets are to be used in my 1895 marlin cowboy if anyone can tell me what kind of rear sight have i would dance a jig
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Those 20 marks to the inch are .050" apart which equates to 5 minutes of angle if your sight radius is close to 36". The vernier scale on the slider has marks to break this down to 1 minute of angle. This is how most sights are marked.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Leave that 457132 at cast dia.
What case does your rifle fire?
Why the XLR Buffalo Soule. Do you plan to shoot 1 mile plus?
The LR Buffalo Soule works very well, and the staff doesn't get in the way when cleaning like the XLR version does.
Gary
ksbreed123

Post by ksbreed123 »

lumpy grits, i shoot starline brass