Buffalo Arms Money Bullet

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

charlie young

Re: Buffalo Arms Money Bullet

Post by charlie young »

Yes, I have, that is what I was wondering about when I started this thread. All I have mixed up right now is 25/1, I only cast 50, so will see how they shoot at 1000 yds, when the snow clears so I can see the targets.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

charlie young wrote:Yes, I have, that is what I was wondering about when I started this thread. All I have mixed up right now is 25/1, I only cast 50, so will see how they shoot at 1000 yds, when the snow clears so I can see the targets.
Charlie,

Just cast a bunch this evening, I switched from 20/1 to 16/1 :wink:
They don't bend as easy when you light the match
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Those 25-1 might shoot alright but if you get some unexplained fliers, you'll know the reason right quick.
20-1 does work I have shot into the 80's with 20-1, but 16-1 is the surest way to go.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Don, the way I'm shooting anymore, unexplained fliers could be a multitude of things...slamming the trigger, forgetting to pull the hammer back, unexplained flinching when it finally does touch off..... :lol:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: Charlie I hear you, I think it's something to do with global warming or such :lol:
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

Don McDowell wrote:Those 25-1 might shoot alright but if you get some unexplained fliers, you'll know the reason right quick.
20-1 does work I have shot into the 80's with 20-1, but 16-1 is the surest way to go.
Hi Don,

Did you ever try 10-1 or heard something about those ?

Etienne Brule
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

Don McDowell wrote:Those 25-1 might shoot alright but if you get some unexplained fliers, you'll know the reason right quick.
Hi Don,

Did you ever try 10-1 or heard something about those ?

Etienne Brule
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No I've never tried anything that hard.
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

Since you fellas seem to know your bullets casting I wonder if bottom pour or top dipper method is preferred. Thanks
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

When I first started this game, there was a lot of help as there is now on here and other sights. At that time almost everyone considered the Ladle to be the better way for casting consistent match grade type bullets. So I never bothered to try the bottom pour. Since all those years later, maybe that has changed. But I don't think you can go wrong with a ladle.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Mixed up a batch of 16/1 and cast about 40. About 1/2 ways through I decided that the bases weren't turning out as well as I like, which sort of surprised me, as I always thought adding tin was supposed to help fill the mould. After weighing I found I was casting at about a 2 grain variance instead of the usual 1/2 grain. Mix was set at about 785 degrees, right where I generally cast at. Maybe just a slight hint of frosting, will probably drop to 750 the next time. Weight of the 16/1 averaged about 534.5 and the 25/1 at 539.5 which is about what I was thinking. Diameter of the bullets is .460.5 for the 16/1 and right at .459 for the 25/1.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Hey Charlie,
When I first started using 16:1 I found I needed to get my mould hotter than I did with 20:1 in order to fill my bases up. I pour at 770 and have had consistent weight ever since. Hope that helps.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

charlie, rest arrured your mould is in all probability good.
using higher tin alloys can be a bit of a learning curve.
firstly with any alloy, the sprue plate needs to be hot enough to get good fillout on the corners.
big sprue puddles will add heat to the plate.
secondly the more chrystalline nature of the higher tin content can require a slightly longer count prior to cutting the sprue to avoid tearing.
practice will teach you this, and once you get it right it will become second nature.
should you keep getting 0.460 bullets, that might be an advantage if they fit into fired cases.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus