45-70 or 40-65 and why?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

hepburn

Re: 45-70 or 40-65 and why?

Post by hepburn »

Glen--Barb has 90% of her records with the same rifle she started with---a Browning 45/70. I fit the stock to her & added Pachmeyr , she also wears shoulder pad. The fantastic score she had last fall at Georgia was with 45/70 using 520 & 545 gr. At 67 she is still using irons and has not complained about recoil. She also likes M-14 & 1911's !

In my opinion the 45/70 is about like the 30/06---about as big as most people can comfortably handle. I would not be afraid of a 45/70---especially if as OP stated he already has one. for what its worth Ron
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

According to Sellers, looks like the Sharps 1877 was made in 4 calibers: For long range Creedmoor shooting 45 2.6 and 45 2.4 with 32-34" barrels. For the Lower batch it was 40-70 and 45-70 with 28 -30" barrels.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The only ORIGINAL 77 Creedmoors I have seen and handled were marked 45 2.4 the barrels looked to be 34" did not measure them.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

OK Wade, I gave you the best deal possible and you rejected it. You asked for what seems to be an honest factual opinion now, finally. First of all, such an informed opinion cannot be rendered if we don't know your current level of proficiency at Target and Silhouette. We do see you live on St. Simons Island, Jojja. Where do you have to go to shoot past 600 yards? We don't know if you even have shot past 600 yards unless sighted in on Cumberland Island.

I normally don't do this, but you demanded so here it comes, right between the eyes. Based on your 45-70.

It takes a lot of time and effort to shoot enough on your own to make an informed decision. You have indirectly indicated that you are not there yet. You started with a 45-70 but we have no idea how many target or silhouette matches you have shot with it much less your average of the last five scores. You did not mention what kind of spotting scope you have or how proficient you are at calling conditions.

So to start with you have failed to provide important information which puts us in a position to beat around the bush. I know how to get to the point. You have asked for it. So here it is.

If you are not already a AAA rated big bore silhouette shooter that on average shoots in the mid 20's your last five matches and you have not shot at least 20 matches you are not ready for a 45-70 practically speaking in that sport. If you are not fairly proficient at calling conditions in silhouette it is highly unlikely you are even a AA shooter.

In Target, mid range you should have shot at least ten matches and at least fired two Expert scores and recognize how to set sights "correctly" for the conditions you see in the spotting scope and call those conditions for another shooter at the prescribed distances.

In Target, long range, you should have fired at least ten matches and shooting at least in the mid 70's to mid 80's at
800 yards, dropping ten points average at each distance at 900 & 1,000. You should be able to shoot long range average working as your own spotter.

It you are not at the level stipulated for silhouette and midrange above you need to get the 40-65 and learn how to shoot it well enough to attain those scores. If you are not a fair spotter already you really need to work on that too.

Going to a 45-70 if you are not already at this level of proficiency will probably frustrate you and then we will be back to considering the offer in my first post and the price will drop significantly.

There it is Wade.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

Thanks for all the replies since my last post, especially appreciate the stated reasons behind the opinions! Not and easy decision and mostly that is because as one of you had stated "there is no wrong answer", so I will continue to torture myself! :wink:

Also thanks for the search tips, man the site was really starting to get me seriously steamed when I could not search 40-65!

Hepurn,

1. I'm originally from Michigan, grew up in the Ruth/Harbor Beach area, currently live in the Communist State of Illinois. Work drug me out here about 15 years ago kicking and screaming but needed to feed the family. Hope to be back in the great state of MI in a couple years. IL is really a great state, just need to push Chicago and it's politicians into the lake and it would be an awesome state!

2. I'm with you on the single trigger. I really love set triggers but on the 77 it just looks "right" with a single trigger. If set up properly they are fine.

3. I am going with a round barrel, I fell in love with the 1877 (original) that was covered in the NRA magazines a few years back. Clipped it out of the magazine laminated it and pinned it to the wall next to my work desk. A "I'm gonna get one of those some day" bucket list items. That rifle had the round barrel and rigby rib. I think it had the 34" barrel. I love the long barrel look on that rifle but probably not practical for offhand chickens, and some say fouling can be an issue. I'll do 30" if I have to but 32" would be nice just to give it that long look. Buuuuut then 32" would be a total PITA for hunting, here we go again! Really want the Rigby rib, but I want to have scope blocks too. Back in the day Kirk said it's one or the other but not both. I'm hoping by the time my build starts he will have figured/agreed to do it since many others will have asked for it too. Hope springs eternal...

4. Will be going with the standard chamber regardless of caliber.

Cheers!

Wade
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Wade,
If you do choose the 40-65, I would get the 14 twist
so as to handle heavier bullets better.
beltfed/arnie
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I would get a .40-65 because I am recoil sensitive. So much so that I only went .40 because my .38-55 would not knock down all the rams I hit.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

You answered your own question in your original post, go back and look at your positives verses the negatives, enough said. :wink: 45-70
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.