Sorry to ask about paper patching vs. lubed-grooved, but...

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Distant Thunder

Re: Sorry to ask about paper patching vs. lubed-grooved, but...

Post by Distant Thunder »

Don,

Fouling control is equally important with GG as it with PP. It's just that greasers can shoot through a lot more fouling than papered. The bore condition needs to be maintain with some consistency for both.

Fouling control is one thing I continue to struggle with in shooting my paper patched bullets for long range. As the temperature, wind, and humidity change throughout a match I have struggled to keep up with the fouling control. When I get it right the target looks very good, but when I lose control I start to drop points and in a match on the clock things can go south pretty darn fast. It will be my goal this year to get that last detail nailed down.

I only just last year started shooting paper patched in silhouette and I've got plenty to learn there, but it seems to be pretty straight forward and was a heck of a lot of fun. I need to take in at least a few silhouette matches this year to shorten the learning curve. I know Brent makes it look easy.

Jim
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jim, absolutely correct, you can get away with some pretty sloppy and incomplete fouling control shooting greasers, but do that with a patched load and you got problems, and quick.

Fouling control with patched bullets has become extremely quick and efficient with the BACO bore wipe system. Expensive, yes, but very efficient.
I should probably take in more than 1 or two silhouette matches, and instead of using those matches to experiment with loads and such, start taking it as serious as I do the target rifle matches.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

and then there are those like bob w, orville, and again kurt, who can shoot pp bullets dirty for hunting.
an art in itself.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Shooting "dirty" hunting, isn't necessarily a sign of good operation of paper patch. One shot from a clean bore and the hunt should be over and done with. Maybe a second shot dirty...
Shooting dirty in a match is a bit different but can be done. I remember a conversation at a silhouette match with a well known bpcr shooter about some doof that cleaned a bank of rams shooting a bottle neck cartridge with paper patch with no more fouling control than a blow tube,, and how it is just absouletly impossible. Also saw a guy shoot patched dirty with just the ladder sights at a gong match and still placed in the top half...
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

depends on how good the shot was and how happy the bear, scrub bull, or buffalo is.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I’m still chuckling over a comment made a while back about Polish powdet and PP being a match made in heaven. I shoot a Shiloh 45-110 with a tight PP chamber and love it. Easy to load for. I might be able to do it justice some day if I could learn to read wind. I use a grease cookie and BACO bore wipes between shots, have not dpne as well with LDPE wads, not sure why. I chose Pp for sake of history, nothing more.