black powder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ksbreed123

black powder

Post by ksbreed123 »

anybody on this forum that lives around the dallas tx area and know where i can buy some black powder?? all the stores i been to act like its a crime to carry it
JRV

Re: black powder

Post by JRV »

Go to Buffalo Arms to order and UPS will deliver.

JRV
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Virtually no store carries it anymore. You have to order it online. I like to get mine from powderinc.com
take care, Cody
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

You kind of need to order it a case of 25# at a time to help
spread out the shipping/hazmat charges .
If you don't care to get that much , find another person to
share a case with you.
ditto: Powder Inc- good to deal with.
beltfed/arnie
ksbreed123

Post by ksbreed123 »

powderinc.com wants 135.00 for 5 lbs delivered. that aint bad.... thanks guys
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I just got a case of Eynsford in from Bear River for just under 500$, but the shipping to your location might bring that price up a tad. 5 lbs of powder ain't much for anything other than just getting a good feel on whether your rifle is going to get along with that powder or not.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Just in case the information may be valuable especially for those making the transition from smokeless powder to black powder here are some things that I take into consideration when loading for competition. I do the same for Goex, Schuetzen, KIK and Swiss in any granulation.

First of all, I load by volume, whether silhouette, midrange or long range. I use a Teco Black Powder Graduated Tube Measure that will go up to 120 grains volume with a Belding & Mull Measure. I already know the setting I need for the load by volume. I throw five charges, weigh them and divide by five and that is the grain weight of that lot of powder by volume for that load. Volume remains constant, weight can vary by quite a bit. (By volume one lot of Swiss 1.5 may weigh 79.0 grains and another lot 83.4 grains by the same volume.)

Let's say I am loading for the combined USIMLT & World Championship March 2018 at Ben Avery in Phoenix and calculate that I will need ammunition for six days of competition and two days of practice. To ensure that I have enough for long range I cast 260 bullets and prep 260 45-90 Starline cases.

I will load 79.0 grains by weight (powder is sold by weight and 7,000 grains is approximately one pound) and I know from experience that I will expend slightly more powder than the simple calculation of 79.0 grains multiplied by 260 so I calculate at 80.0 grains multiplied by 260 = 20800.0 grains of powder divided by 7,000 grains = 3.0 pounds of that lot of powder.

Using the previous lot at 83.5 grains would figure at 84.5 grains x 260 = 21970 divided by 7,000 = 3.14 pounds of that lot of powder.

Additionally in load development and practice just for that one rifle I will average about 200 rounds if there are no hiccups on the target from lot to lot. So you can see from just showing up at Phoenix in March to shoot I actually needed about 7.0 pounds of powder before I started loading and practicing for that match because you can't just buy 6.14 pounds.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

OOps, pushed wrong button on calculator. I would need 6.0 pounds for match prep and record fire.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ksbreed123

Post by ksbreed123 »

i get your drift dd so i will try this....ANYONE IN THE DALLAS FT WORTH AREA THAT WOULD LIKE TO BUY INTO A CASE OF BLACK POWDER LET ME KNOW
LETS SEE WHERE THIS GOES
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

All our Swiss, Wano & Schuetzen BP in the USA comes from Scheutzen Black Powder in Arlington, TX. http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/contact-us
Give them a call and see if they have a local outlet. You might be able to purchase smaller than cases amounts directly, but likely not. Maybe you can work out a deal to purchase from someone like Powder, Inc. and pick up locally to save the shipping & hazmat fee.
Glenn
ksbreed123

Post by ksbreed123 »

YOUR RIGHT SSSHOOTER...I FORGOT ABOUT THEM..I'LL CALL THEM MONDAY ABOUT A LOCAL OUTLET.I LIKE SWISS 11/2