Steve Rhoades Dago Red Bore Cleaner

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Del

Steve Rhoades Dago Red Bore Cleaner

Post by Del »

I called Steve's wife to see if she had any of his bore cleaner she was wanting to sell but she looked and there was none. Does anyone know Steve's recipe for his bore cleaner? I know it had some lanolin in it but not sure what else he used. I would be more than happy to purchase any that someone has sitting around but they are not going to use. I meant to purchase some last fall and forgot, I mentioned to Steve at the Jim Gier match that had I know he was going to be there that I would have had him bring my up a few bottles. He mentioned then that he was out and needed to make more. His wife also said she thought that he was out and that he was waiting on some of the ingredients to show to make some more but I doubt that will happen now. Anyone have any ideas? I really liked his cleaner!
Fortune Favors the Bold...
DeadEye

Re: Steve Rhoades Dago Red Bore Cleaner

Post by DeadEye »

Del,

I've been using it for some time now and like it. It works great for a quick clean between relays. I keep some Cowboy Extreme for those really tough times. Steve basically gave me the recipe but I don't think I'd have saved anything in my quantities so I just kept buying it from him. ATF/Acetone/with a touch of Lanolin. He did not specify the percentages and he may have taken that secret to his grave. I would start with 50/50. I know of a guy that makes rifles and heard him say that's what he uses. :wink: :wink: :wink: He was good friends with Steve too.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Sounds like the basic ingredients for Ed's Red.Equal parts of ATF,kerosene,acetone,mineral spirits.The lanoline is optional. I've used it for years and mix it up by the gallon,cheap and works well.--Mike.
Del

Post by Del »

Awesome!!! Thanks Paul and Mike for the info. I will try to mix up a batch and see how it works...
Fortune Favors the Bold...
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=61.0

Here is a link to Ed Harris's recipe. Interesting reading.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Get several friends together when you make a batch. Even a gallon lasts FOREVER.

Clarence
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I fill a large bottle for firearms and the rest goes into my benchtop parts washer. :D
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Monkeyboy,

You probably lose the acetone in fairly short order if you don't keep the mixture sealed up. Probably still works fine for your use.

Clarence
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Clarence,You're correct,although I do have a pretty good seal on the lid since I have this in the basement.I've used this stuff in the washer for over 20yrs and it's still going strong.Must be the ATF.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

There is a chance that Steve's son will continue with the business. He worked with Steve on same, including the gun-smithing end of things. Would be nice if he does as I could use some Dago Red & patches for the season.
Glenn