Which reloading die mfg? and which de-priming tool?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Re: Which reloading die mfg? and which de-priming tool?

Post by Don McDowell »

Trigger1212 wrote:Gents,

Can you share the why of your choice of Lyman dies? What do you like about them or is better than the other dies out there?

Also, what do you include in your die set? Are they the typical 3 piece set, FL die, seater, crimp?

What do you use for a powder compression die?

Lastly, do you use neck only dies or....?

Thanks

Wade
I like the Lyman dies because I've been using then a very long time. I have Hornady and Lee dies. There are things I like about the Hornady dies, but they need to make a better nose cup in the seating die for the types of bullets we use. The best thing about the lee dies is at least you get an extra shell holder...
Saeco makes good dies, I have several sets, but none for the 45-70, and as your question was about the 45-70.....
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Don,

The extra shell holder for the Lee dies does me no good at this time as I have a Forrester Co-Ax press... But it is a nice touch!

Wade
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

My depriming tools are either Pope style or the one Shiloh sells. I use the Pope style to prime my cases also.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Wade it does make for an expensive shell holder tho... :)
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

The preferred dies depend to some extent on the rifle/chamber dimensions & what you plan to use the dies for. As Clarence noted, Lyman .40-65 dies do not work well when reforming .45-70 brass, but that's for a Shiloh Sharps .40-65 chamber. The lyman dies work great for reforming & for reloading for the Browning .40-65 chamber, which is all I've used for years & never had a problem. In fact the Lyman .40-65 resizing dies are made to fit the Browning chamber, which has a well-defined constant diameter neck.

After acquiring a Shiloh Sharps .40-65 several months ago, I found the Lyman dies did not work in reforming .45-70 brass for it, but the RCBS dies, which I also happen to have, worked great. But, also as Clarence pointed out, if you'll be using Starline .40-65 brass, reforming is not required & the Lyman dies work fine. One caution you should be aware of. Lee .40-65 dies will not work for most single-shot BPCR rifles. For more info on .40-65 Lyman & Lee dies click on the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/All_40-65_Winc ... Equal.html

BTW, I've used Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady & Lee dies for other calibers &, with the above exceptions noted, all are/were excellent & did the job.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Had a problem with hornady dies shrinking my 45/70 brass, someone on here told me to try a different sizing die, Ran them thru a rcbs and they came back to the right size. Hornadys are gone.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

' No dies' for me... Works a treat!
JRV

Post by JRV »

Buffalo Arms is again carrying the brass decapper that Jim Brannon developed back in the 1990's, It slips into a Lee hand priming tool. Still using the same one for 22 years.

JRV