Another "Newbie" to the Shiloh Rifle Forums

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

slugslinger

Another "Newbie" to the Shiloh Rifle Forums

Post by slugslinger »

I'm new to the forum and to shooting and reloading black powder cartride rifles.
I have a beautiful old Shiloh Sharps 45-90 that I have not yet fired. (Manufactured in Farmingdale NY in the 1970's).
I also have a Montana Vintage Arms scope and am working on getting the correct "Dovetail Block Mounts" for it. If anyone can confirm the correct dovetail sizes for my old rifle, that would be a big help.

I am a very experienced shooter, hunter, and outdoorsman, but this is my first "buffalo rifle".

Does anyone know where I can buy some (black powder) "factory ammunition"? . . . so I can at least try her out . . .

I bought several books on Buffalo Rifles and Reloading Black Powder cartridges, but don't yet have all the necessary supplies to begin. I'm also beginning the search for sources of Black Powder and Cast bullets. I have RCBS dies for the 45-90, and all the ususal stuff for modern powder reloading, but I don't do my own cast bullet moulding.

I'm a long-time resident of Colorado, and originally a native of New Mexico (many years ago).

Regards,
John W

Re: Another "Newbie" to the Shiloh Rifle Forums

Post by John W »

Hello and Welcome!

I have been shooting for a number of years, but still consider myself new. There are so many wise gentlemen and ladies on this board - with the collective knowledge of hundreds of years. Use these forums well. The information here should really be collated and put into some book.

For supplies for our Shiloh Sharps, I usually go to the following:
- Buffalo Arms
- Sagebrush Outfitters

I am sure there are many others, but these are my "go-to" places.

R,
John W.