Quick Measure Black Powder Measure

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

John W

Quick Measure Black Powder Measure

Post by John W »

Hello All,

Just thought I would share an great new piece of kit I purchased for loading my cartridges. I am not affiliated with this company in any way, other than purchasing the measure.

It is the “Quick Measure” by JDS, or Johnson Design Specialties. http://www.quick-measure.com

The interesting thing about this measure is that it uses a mini, “drop tube” to drop the charge into a cylinder, which then drops the charge into whatever you need. It of course can be mounted to a table, but interestingly, it can also be used one-handed and unmounted. So you can hand hold the charger on one hand and move from cartridge to cartridge in the loading block. Another interesting thing is that it cannot cut grains of powder, and does not get “hung up” on grains of powder. It is beautifully machined and very precise.

For comparison, I also own a Harrell’s powder measure. With my Harrell’s, I can drop charges accurate to +/- 0.2 grains (as measured with my lab scale, which is accurate to +/- 0.01 grains. With the Quick Measure, I can consistently drop charges to +/- 0.1 grains. I do measure after each charge. There are the occasional charges that are slightly higher or lower, but always within +/- 0.2 grains. I reject those and pour that charge back into the powder measure.

Just thought I would share this in case anyone else was interested. Or, if you already had one, if you had the same experiences I have.

Again, I am not in anyway connected to the company, or the man who sells it. Don’t even know him outside of when I ordered the measure. Very nice guy though. Told me that if were ever in Spokane, Washington, to call him, and he could show me his friend’s collection of old cartridges... which is apparently quite extensive! Apparently his friend also collects 22 cartridge boxes (I did not even know that that was a hobby), and has even written a book about it.

R,
John W
Michael Johnson

Re: Quick Measure Black Powder Measure

Post by Michael Johnson »

I also have a JDS measure. He is out of Spokane and I bought my measure at a local gunshow. It is simple and works quite well as has been your experience.Mine drops directly into a 24 inch drop tube and saves me a lot of time. More consistent with smaller grain powders 3fg and 1.5fg within 0.1 grain. O.2grain for 1fg Swiss.He has ads in Rifle/ Handloader magazine.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

there are measures out there made specifically for BP. Mine is 15 years old and has a drop tube as part of it.
it is safe and can be adjusted for the smallest amount. I'd think you'd want that option.

no. I don't see any name on it, but I'm sure if you look around you'll find one made for our 'thing'.
Ken
John W

Post by John W »

Yes, this one has both set ups for smokeless and blackpowder (an aluminum powder hopper instead of plastic). Kinda interesting is that you can hook the whole unit up to a reloading press, so that you can drop charges while running rounds through your progressive press. Not that I ever would (especially for black powder)...

R,
John W.
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Interesting. I have seen the advertisements and wondered how they could work as well as claimed. Seems they do, though.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I actually have the attachment to use it on a Dillon 650. I actually thought it would be great for loading BP in 45 Colt. But over the last 10 years I have only used it for charging BPCR cases from 40-65 up to 50-90 one at a time directly thru a drop tube. For that purpose it has worked well and saved a lot of time. I have never used it for smokeless; for that I use a RCBS Chargemaster.