First effort loading 45-70 with BP...

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

First effort loading 45-70 with BP...

Post by Trigger1212 »

Evening Gents,

Been reading here for several years, chipping in once in a while when I felt I had something to offer of value but in general just trying to learn as much as possible about loading BP. Trying to get my ducks in a row to give BPCR silly-wette a go this summer, really looking forward to it. Recently been starting threads about my upcoming 1877 build (caliber) and various equipment issues. Talk is talk until you actually put lead down range and I'm finally doing that!

As stated above I've got my 1877 looming on the horizon, hopefully get The Letter sometime this summer. Cannot wait on that so have to get the ball rolling with what I have.

Since I have a Shiloh on order I don't feel toooooo bad showing my other rifle. It's a custom Roller, made by a friend and originally owned by another friend who passed on. I was lucky enough to purchase it from his estate. It's a 45-70 with a 30" half octagon/round barrel. Originally had a very slow twist, 28" or 32" inches if I remember correctly. After purchasing it I had had builder rebarrel it with a Douglas Premium 1-18" twist. I also installed MVA rear tang sight and had it drilled and tapped for MVA 24" 6x scope as seen in the photos below.

So finally got off the dime and started building loads. Read an article in the Black Powder Cartridge News re developing loads for a specific rifle and it sounded like a good place to start.

Essentially it said to make up dummy round to seat bullet out till it touched rifling measure it then subtract 0.010" - 0.015" to ensure loading with a fouled chamber. Since I plan to shoot greasers (at least initially) this made sense. Then you determine how far the bullet is seated in the case and this will determine the size of the boilerroom you have to work with. Drop tube enough powder to allow you to reach this height with wad of choice and no compression. Shoot and see how it does, keep adding powder and compress to the same column height until you hit the spot the rifle likes.

Simplified instructions but you get the idea.

With the above I came up with this load:

- New annealed Star Line brass, BP ignorance came into play with this brass, when I bought it (couple years ago) I had my modern CF hat on and read the reloading manual to see what the minimum trim length was and proceeded to trim them all to 2.095", only later reading to get the best results you need to fit the brass to the chamber length. Crap..., 500 cases too short! Looks like I'll be adding a stretcher of some sort to the tool list. Already read the article by Texas Mac on the options.

- FL sized brass, then used .456" expander plug, which allows me to just be able to push the bullets in with fingers if necessary but seat them with the press to save fingers.

- Bullet is the Saeco 61881 500gr Govt copy bullet, alloy 20-1, SPG lube applied with RCBS lubrasizor. They drop from mold at .458 and I run them through the .459 die just to get lube on.

- CCI BR2 primers

- Walters .030" fiber wad card

- Swiss 3F powder, as that is what I had on hand from my .54 Flinter.

- With no compression I was able to fit 62.4gr of 3F in the virgin cases.

- Then loaded second batch with 64.4gr of 3F and compressed to fit to same height. Didn't worry about measuring compression dimension for now.

Here are the initial result at 100 yards benched, front and rear bags with barrel resting on front bag just in front of the forearm.

This was the first group after about 4-5 sighter shots to get the scope on paper. Conditions were late afternoon, about 40 degrees, 5 mph wind from 1 o'clock. 3 slooow breaths between each shot.

62.4 gr load, Width 1.048", Height 1.124", of course the last one slipped out to the right on me.

This is the second group with 64.4gr. Width 0.822", Height 1.261". The fifth shot is circled in ink, the bullets blew the paper out and I taped it back flat and folded a piece the wrong way but did not realize it until tape was in place. But you can see the lead smear around the upper left side of the ink circle.

Not a bad start but two groups do not a load make, but enough for the day as was getting dark and hands cold!

Shot again the next day, conditions almost identical.

This was first group with the 62.4gr load, shot it just after readjusting my focus on the MVA scope to sharpen it up a bit, new prescription! So the POI was not where I expected.

5 shot group, would have been great except for the one I let get away again out to the right. Measuring all 5 shots Width 1.878", Height 0.700". Measuring only 4 shots and dropping the one to the right, Width 0.747", Height 0.065".

Second group with same load, only 4 shots, Width 1.264", Height 1.635"

Third group is the 64.4gr load, again only 4 rounds. Width 1.619", Height 1.658".

Rifle cleaned up really well with windex with vinegar and then swabbed with patch and balistoil. Scoped the bore with my hawkeye unit, only a very small amount lead just in the lead area just before rifling. I'm sure there was some there in the bottom corners of the lands here and there but no accumulations easily visible.

Never was the best off the bench as it always seems like I end up fighting the bags. Need to work on that a bit. Wish I had a longer range to test the loads at but 100 yards is all I will have available until match time. Will load up some more of both loads and then start running them over the ohler to see what kind of numbers it is generating.

The rifle is only a little over 9 lbs so the recoil is fairly stout, making the 40-65 look a little more appealing for the 1877! :lol:

Any thoughts or suggestions for improvements on my loads?

1. Was surprised that the case did not hold more powder. I was expecting around 65 grains with no compression but I know that Winchester has best capacity, S-L probably the lowest. With method described above the bullet is seated about 0.384" into the case mouth.

2. Will new cases gain much (any) capacities after being fired? I plan to neck size after initial firing.

2. One improvement I would like to try is to add a newspaper wad between the walters wad and the base of the bullet to ensure they are not sticking. Need to get a punch first.

3. What am I forgetting?

Sorry for the long post, hard to put it all down without being a bit long winded. Really appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge and experience!

Cheers!

Wade
Michael Johnson

Re: First effort loading 45-70 with BP...

Post by Michael Johnson »

Who built your Roller? I have one by the late Dave Higginbotham.
Michael Johnson

Try adding a little compression and using 67-68 grains of 1.5fg Swiss or 3fg Swiss.. It may help tighten up your group. I have had good results with a 520 grain Brooks Creedmoor seated one grease groove out of the case with a COAL of 2.97 using 0.030 ldpe wads and CCIBR2 primers with Starline brass.I neck size only with a Meaham bushing after firing.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

456 expander plug allows a 458 bullet to finger seat :?:
usually there is some sprinback, so if the case is sized enough, a 455 bullet would fit more as you describe.
might pay to measure the expander.
not that it matters, as it works how it is.
ideal bullet diameter is to slip fit into a twice fired case for accuracy.
this is also very convenient for loading, as you can avoid sizing altogether.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

"2. Will new cases gain much (any) capacities after being fired? I plan to neck size after initial firing."
No additional capacity will be gained with new cases because the OAL of your cartridge will stay the same.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Fireformed cases will definitely give you more case capacity, and I'd suggest trying fireformed & unsized brass
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Good start- :D
What is the ROT of your bbl?
Try sizing with a .45-90 F/L die, as that will uniform the case and work it less.
Your powder weight is from a scale-correct?
Have you confirmed your neck expander dia with a mic?
Try a piece of coffee filter paper at the bottom of the case(cover primer hole).
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Watch where you rest your barrel. Make a set of bench sticks and find the sweet spot (probably 3 to 6 or 7 inches from the muzzle.) You will use this position in silhouette.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents, thanks for the replies and questions,

Replies:
MJ as to who built it, an old time master machinest/gunsmith who does not like to be in the limelight so for now I have to respect his wishes not to be on the internet. When I say master I mean it, he pretty much built the whole rifle down to carving the stocks out of wood blanks and making the sights. He is getting up there in age and really slowing down and does not have the endurance to stand by his beloved lathe/mill anymore but he still does a beautiful job of color case hardening, that is his work on the action. I would love to be able to have him CC the 1877 build but am sure that will not be possible. If Shiloh's pack hardening looks as good as John's I'll be thrilled!

Bruce - remeasured the expander plug, yup, .456, remeasured bullet before lubing .458. I will say that I've annealed the cases on my bench source machine so it is a well done annealing job, NO smoke/soot on fired cases. Maybe this good anneal is making for less springback. Also, I did not say it was easy to push the bullets in by hand, just that it could be done! :D

In regards to gaining powder capacity after firing virgin brass. I did not expect to gain any capacity from case lengthening, but felt there might be some from fireforming to the chamber dimensions (case getting fatter) as our friend Martin postulated. Just did not know how much capacity to expect. Knew it would not be that much but 1.0 to 2.0 grains maybe? I'll find out when I start to reload the once fired cases, was just curious as to your experiences.

Gary - ROT is 1-18" with the new barrel, 30" long. Powder is being dropped from a Belding & Mull measure, once set the weight is periodically being checked on an electronic scale. I ended up purchasing the MVA magnum powder tube, wasn't cheap but a great piece of kit and will handle any charge I'll need to drop. Had to touch up the drop hole in the B&M with a little emery cloth on a split rod in the electric drill to clean up a couple thousands clearance to get a good fit but really like it.

What is the coffie filter over the primer's function?

CW - good suggestion for to make up a set of bench sticks. Always thought it was not quite right to shoot off a front rest when you would be using the cross sticks in a match. Are most rifles very sensitive to positioning on the cross sticks? Would imagine so, as it would/should have quite an effect on barrel harmonics. Do you notice much change in performance going from bench sticks to prone cross sticks? I would think in prone there would probably be more down pressure on the barrel?

Good stuff guys, keep it coming!
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Oops, forgot my tag-line!

Cheers!

Wade
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The coffee filter 'wad' keeps the powder out of the primer hole, and lowers your SD.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Wade,
YOu might also try Wiping with that rod.
I wipe with 1 or 2 wet patches between shots, depending on temp and humidity conditions.
Found better consistency with wiping. I use distilled water for wetting the patches, then
"press" a stack of them between my palms just so there is not "dripping" water from the patches.
beltfed/arnie
Michael Johnson

Wade, outstanding wood and checkering! When I first started shooting my Shiloh 45-70 some of the initial groups looked like they came out of a scattergun. I recommend that you keep good load records and only change one variable at a time. Try things like CCIBR2 primers, seating bullets out to the rifling, use a good lube like DGL, 5-6 good deep breaths with a blow tube or wipe like Beltfed suggested, 0.030 LDPE wads worked well in my rifle to tighten up groups. The coffee filter suggested by Gary (Lumpy) retards the brissance from the primer (blackpowder is very easy to ignite) this is what decreases the standard deviation of bullet muzzle velocity. Placing a newsprint wad under the bullet so that the LDPE wad doesn't stick to it messing up its trajectory. There is a lot of juju involved here. If you can successfully reload for accurate BPCR all other reloading is very easy by comparison
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

No change when going from bench sticks to match sticks as long as your match sticks are perfectly vertical when you fire. One inch difference one way or another on your rest can make a good difference, and a half inch can make a difference, in your groups at distance. It is worth experimenting.
Trusty Dog

Post by Trusty Dog »

Wade, I'm waiting for my Shiloh to be built. What edition of Black Powder Cartridge News was the article you referenced about developing loads for a specific rifle? I thought I'd try and get that back edition. While I'm waiting for my new Sharps I have another Pedersoli 45/70 that I picked up that someone who passed on ordered, and never shot. I'm reading your story with interest to try and duplicate the good things you did. Thank you for writing it. Jon