Best place to purchase Swiss Black Powder?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Re: Best place to purchase Swiss Black Powder?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Jesse Louise Boys, your makin’ me feel like a piker! :lol: You are supposed to ease me into this until I’m trapped and can’t escape, not make me bleed money from the get go!

Being honest I’m already trapped. 25lbs is the way to go, I guess I was dunking around with the smaller amounts because I was having a hard time committing to an “F” size. My limited experience has all been with Swiss 3F. Seems to work but is it best? Dunno. I e had several guys I’m comfortable with make a strong pitch for Swiss 1.5F. Will be shooting 40-65 and 45-70.

I imagine everyone and their brother has their favorite F. I like Swiss so plan to stick with that for now. Any major objections to the 1.5F given the calibers listed?

Cheers!

Wade
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Powder Inc. you can mix and match the F number in a lot of powder. When I bought my powder I got 3 different F sizes in a lot of 25 lbs. Call them and they will work with you. JMHO 8) 8) 8)
Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I would just go with all 1 1/2F. Unless you are trying to build some specialty loads, it is likely what you will end up using the most of.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Why E 3F? E 2F, burns like all others 3F.........
Gary
Gary,
I don't shoot 3F in my 45, I use 1 1/2 F
He wanted to know where to purchase black powder, have you forgotten 1.5, 2 & 3F are all the same price.

They sell Swiss too.

Bear River was $20/case higher on the first case I got. The last two from BACO, I can use that $40 for something else. And I don't just buy it because it's cheaper, I buy it because it performs, and performs well, one wouldn't call me frugal :roll:

However if a person wants to spend $6/lb more for powder, that's fine also. That's why they make Ford's, Chey's, Dodge's et al

AND Paul, a 20 ton press :roll: c'mon dude

Maybe I do jump up & down on the handle tho :wink:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Steve,

I was aware of the ability to mix and match Fs in the order but did not want to screw around with a bunch of different powders, hoped to find one that would work and be done with it. Got a whooooole locker full of different powders from my smokless efforts. Finally said to myself this is silly, stick with what works and stop worrying about the newest wonder powder. I love to experiment but just ain't enough time in the day, trying to simplify!

Shadow - Going with the Swiss only because that's what I have experience with and I know it works. So I'm going to start with that, need to stop screwing around and load and get my butt to the firing line and figure out what works where it really matters! I've heard a lot of good things about OE, not stuck on Swiss and at some point I'm sure I'll try it, just waiting till I get a little more experience on the line under my belt. I'm a guy that picks up pennys off the ground, $6.00 less a lb is like winning the lotto!

Cheers!

Wade
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Trigger1212 wrote: Shadow - Going with the Swiss only because that's what I have experience with and I know it works. So I'm going to start with that, need to stop screwing around and load and get my butt to the firing line and figure out what works where it really matters! I've heard a lot of good things about OE, not stuck on Swiss and at some point I'm sure I'll try it, just waiting till I get a little more experience on the line under my belt. I'm a guy that picks up pennys off the ground, $6.00 less a lb is like winning the lotto!

Cheers!

Wade
Trigger
Working with that you're familiar with and have that comfort with, is, well, familiar to me. Smokeless was what I had experience/comfort level using, had a case of 1 1/2 Swiss under the reloading bench for a couple of years before I finally decided to make time to start working with black powder. Making the switch from smokeless to black powder is one thing, switching between black powder brands was nothing for me, it's black powder, they load up the same. I don't care what brand, you work them up the same.

By the time I get done horsing around this year I'd of spent over a grand more for powder, Savannah is working 25-30 hrs a week along with being a full time student, I can send that money to her, or buy lead.................... I buy lead :lol:

There's a lot of penny's in a thousand dollars :wink:

Whatever you buy, buy at least a case at a time, you'll be a lot happier, it'll look like a lot of powder, it isn't
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Shadow

I will be ordering a case quantity, only way to go, just had to get my mind wrapped around the quantity! Getting it from Powder Inc. Seem to be great folks and they confirmed shipping and hazmat are included, nice! Only weird thing is they do not carry primers, only percussion caps. Was hoping to pick up some more CCI BR2 for no shipping. But maybe it’s not possible to sip BP and primers together, dunno.

As far as BP being BP, is its all the same like chicken is chicken. Don’t know if I would agree with that. I do believe their are different levels of quality not to mention overall recipes to make the powder. I don’t expect drastic differences like some less (Bullseye vs H110 for example) but there will be differences between the brands none the less!

Appreciate everyone’s input, a great discussion.

Cheers!

Wade
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

If you live north of the border:
Canadian Distributor of Swiss BP is:

RAYN’ER SHINE GUNWORKS
P.O. BOX 35
LANCER, SK S0N1G0
PHONE: 306 689 2654
FAX: 306 689 2683
EMAIL: raynershine@sasktel.net

And it is also available from:

Hillfolk Musket Supplies
Senlac, Sk.
(306) 228-2949
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Dave

Thanks for the sources, unfortunately I live in the communist state of Illinois.

Cheers!

Wade
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Trigger1212 wrote:Dave

unfortunately I live in the communist state of Illinois.

Wade
Wow! So it really is true
Kurt's been telling me the same thing for years :lol:
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

Well there you go then, let it not be said that I'm uncommitted! Just hit the send button on my first CASE of Swiss 1.5F from Powder Inc. Wooooow, never bought that much powder at one time. Interesting ride, suppose it is just warm up exercises to make sure you are limber enough to firmly grab your ankles for the 1877 build. :shock: :lol:

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers!

Wade
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Just to confirm it was $612.50, Free Hazmat and shipping.

Cheers!

Wade