compression?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SchuetzenDave

Re: compression?

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I tested compressing Swiss FFFg in my .40-65 trying to increase speed since I had no free bore in my rifle and could not extend my bullets.

I had good results from just filled case volume up to .230" compression.

Group sizes started to get larger when I compressed more than .230" with Swiss FFFg in my Starline cases.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Br2 pretty much suck in my 45-110,

I will stick to the old WLRs, I have about 25,000 of them. Sealed in 20MM ammo cans.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
hepburnman

Post by hepburnman »

I tried Swiss 3Fg in my 40-65 because others were using it even in 45-70/90. I had the same good accuracy with it as the 1.5Fg I was using before, however the 3Fg was burning a lot hotter and the fouling was drying out and getting hard during matches during hot days (I wipe with a wet patch). I have since switched back to 1.5Fg and even on very hot days the fouling is manageable (I heavily compressed both powder types to ~0.300").
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Since I do not compress as much I do not get hard fouling on hot days.
Maybe the groups starting to open up more when I compressed more than .230" was due to the start of hard fouling.
So is the fouling using FFFg due to the finer powder granulation or due to too much compression?
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Started out using Fed 215s 19 yrs ago because of Garbe/Venturino's book. Experimented with other primers, powders etc for years. Now back to using Fed 215s. Also do not use as much black powder and/or compression as I once did. Don't know if it is my age or the learning curve or both that caused this. Also, my 2.6 seems to like Swiss 1Fg. Go figure?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote:Br2 pretty much suck in my 45-110,

I will stick to the old WLRs, I have about 25,000 of them. Sealed in 20MM ammo cans.

Kenny W.
Kenny-What was the #2 choice in primers?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Kenny Wasserburger

Federal 210 match.

My shooting partner, Jimbo and I compete, with our 45-110's and we both found these two primers the best, in our 110's.

A lot of wins, and medals prove it.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

THX-I too found Fed 210M to be outstanding.
When the 210M where hard to find a few years back-Tried CCI br2 and liked them.
I bought about 30K of'em, all the same lot #. My modern guns really like them also.
Really surprised, they didn't work for you-But, Every rifle, has it's own likes.
Kenny-Did you find the br2 issue with your other BPCR rifles?
FWIW: The white box WW L/R primers were not that great in either of my Shilohs.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Kenny Wasserburger

I use the old white box, primers, says for standard, or Magnum loads, haven't been made in nearly 20 or more years, I used them back in the day in my service rifle loads.

Kenny

Ps as I constantly tell folks the 2-7/8 Sharps is a different breed of cat. I use federal pistol primers in my other 38-50, still playin my 40-70.

buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Yes. Interesting. When I have run out of the Fed 215s on occasion, I have used the Fed 210s. I guess they are now my second choice.