40 Cal Kidwell

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Old-Win

40 Cal Kidwell

Post by Old-Win »

Those of you shooting this bullet; is it hard to thumbseat this bullet when blow tubing with the first 2 bands at .400"? Would it be better to have the first two bands at .399"? How much extra powder can you get in the 40-65 using Starline brass? Thanks
https://www.buffaloarms.com/bullet-moul ... im409400m4
MikeT

Re: 40 Cal Kidwell

Post by MikeT »

Bob,

That bullet is defective, it has ridges in it! :shock:
Seriously, if you have a standard 0.400" bore, then the 0.400" diameter nose should work OK, if you wipe between shots.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I actually just ordered this bullet with the first two bands at .399 and the third band at .401 for a .399 Krieger bore on a 40-65 Hiwall. BACO charges 10 bucks for the modification, this includes the .399 nose. - Mike
MAH

Post by MAH »

I have that same bullet but it comes with reduced bands, so no extra charge there. As far as powder charge goes, I found 62.5 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 with a .060 poly wad and never looked back. Have shot many a fine group and score with my rifle.

MAH
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Never had the privilege to get an in stock from BACO but when I ordered it I never waited long to get it. Top quality people and company to deal with!
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Michael Johnson wrote:I actually just ordered this bullet with the first two bands at .399 and the third band at .401 for a .399 Krieger bore on a 40-65 Hiwall. BACO charges 10 bucks for the modification, this includes the .399 nose. - Mike
How does the 399 work in the 399 barrel
MikeT wrote:Bob,

Seriously, if you have a standard 0.400" bore, then the 0.400" diameter nose should work OK, if you wipe between shots.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
I agree, it is an extremely defective design :lol:
It doesn't shoot worth a damn
Horrible bullet
Old-Win wrote:Those of you shooting this bullet; is it hard to thumbseat this bullet when blow tubing with the first 2 bands at .400"? Would it be better to have the first two bands at .399"? How much extra powder can you get in the 40-65 using Starline brass? Thanks
https://www.buffaloarms.com/bullet-moul ... im409400m4
The ONLY time they are hard to seat are when they come out of the mould oversized, (this doesn't happen very often) that's what a Steve Rhoades cam tool is for :D
I settled on 66 grs 2F Old E, & if I remember, it doesn't get a ton of compression, either, Paul :P I only jump on the handle once :P
I believe it's right at 1340+ fps, as Dan T recomended (1350), it sure seems to cut the air real fine
around 100 fps faster than I used to shoot stuff from this rifle
0.060 walters
Fed LR 210M PRIMER
& a Starline case, neck sized, annealed, that's it
This rd here has bumped around the house for a couple of years, stays on the coffee table next to my recliner, I'd better go shoot it before the powder goes bad
ImageDANT 4O CAL by Brian Hickey, on Flickr
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Old-Win

Post by Old-Win »

MikeT wrote:Bob,

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Don't worry about Mike T. He just isn't used to seeing a "modern bullet" with grease grooves. :lol: :lol:
But he can turn a 40-50 SBN into a 40-65 really easy with diapers. :D

Shadow, does that Kidwell bullet normally stick out of the case that far in your rifle or do you have a long freebore in it? I'm trying to get another 5grs in the Starline case as my rifle must have a small chamber. I can only get 54 grs. of 1 1/2 in it now. Do you find that the rifle shoots the same if you have to cam an occasional round in now and then. Thanks.
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

A "Kidwell" bullet?

Well now I've just seen everything.

Snow's melting.

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

The "Kidwell" 409400M4 bullet has 3 reduced driving bands so it'll sit way out even in a Shiloh. I am using 60.6gr of OE 1.5 with very little compression, or 62gr of Swiss 1.5 in my .40-65. I could definitely fit more powder in if I wanted. The OE 1.5 load is a little over 1300 fps, and the Swiss one is a little bit faster.

Chris.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

that would be a good bullet for bigger cased faster twist 40 cals with another reduced band and groove added.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
hueyw

Post by hueyw »

surely Mr. Kidwell gets a token royalty every time someone buys these molds.
MAH

Post by MAH »

Listen up! Mr. Kidwell does not accept any cash payments for his luminance brilliance. But it is not un-heard faithful followers bring him extravagant libation. Cheers Mr. Jim
MAH
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

LOL, MAH. It's been a good performer. Even a blind hog can find an acorn once in a while. :wink: ..................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Shadow4

How do you lube a reduced band bullet to look like that? I picked up a PJ 45 cal reduced band “money bullet” mold a while back but to date have done nothing with it. In part due to lubing. I normally run greasers through the ole line-a-manic but I know the reduced bands would make that an unholy mess.

I understand pan lubing (never done it so probably only THINK I understand it!) but even with pan lubing how do you address the reduced bands issue? My mind says using a fired cartridge as a cookie cutter will leave excess line on the smaller bands, and doesn’t seem like you could just pull em out either.

What’s the secret o-wise one? Want my bullets as purty as yours! Thanks

Cheers!

Wade
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Trigger I run the bullets thru a lube sizer then seat them in the case. I have another case that I've neck sized down to the size of the reduced bands. Take that case and run it down over the bullet and it will push all the extra lube down to the mouth of the case the bullet is seated in. Wipe off the extra lube and reuse it.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.