Cleaning off excess bullet lube on reduced band bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

labop

Cleaning off excess bullet lube on reduced band bullets

Post by labop »

In the 40 Kidwell post someone asked about lubing reduced band bullets. I use a Lyman 450 with slightly oversize dies to lube my bullets. Many are reduced band with the top band 0.010" smaller than the base band. A round squeegee works well which I made from soft rubber tubing with an ID of .375 for 40 caliber bullets. I use a drill press with a .375 plastic rod in the chuck to push the bullets through the short piece of tubing. If you don't have a drill press you can do it by hand. The images show a piece of oak with a 5/8" diameter counterbore and a 7/16" clearance hole. Start the bullet by hand point down, push it through the tubing and catch it by the point as it falls through. I have fixtures for .310, .375, .408, .446, .458, and .515 caliber. You will want the tubing ID to be about 0.025" undersize. Some tubing sizes are not available so drill your counterbore undersize. For .310 I use .312X.500 tubing pressed into a 31/64 hole. It takes just a few seconds to run a bullet through the squeegee.

labop

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kk4azzor7r9a ... vwl_a?dl=0
SSShooter

Re: Cleaning off excess bullet lube on reduced band bullets

Post by SSShooter »

That's a lot of work on individual bullets. Learn to pan-lube. Several suggestions on how to do it (50-100 bullets at a time) in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25780&start=15
Glenn
labop

Re: Cleaning off excess bullet lube on reduced band bullets

Post by labop »

I have pan lubed. For small lots of different bullets in load development this is faster.

labop