Belding and Mull hopper extension

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Luke

Belding and Mull hopper extension

Post by Luke »

Loading some BP .50-70 rounds this weekend, using my B&M measure (my dedicated BP measure) and a drop tube. 50 rounds for a steel plate combat match. Emptying the last of a bottle of Olde Eynsford into that little hopper . . . Hmmmm, that's damn close. Wiggle it around a bit. Real close. A few strokes of a file on the bottle threads, yep, it snugs firmly in. I got a box cutter on the loading bench. Cut off the bottom of the bottle. It's a touch larger than the body, makes a nice cap. Fill it up maybe a third of the way, and go to loading.

This was too easy. There's something wrong with this . . . right?

(Got this one off Ebay, run it without the spring, thanks to someone for the shoe polish tip)
Limber Up!
SSShooter

Re: Belding and Mull hopper extension

Post by SSShooter »

Also a B&M user. Got tired of the smallish hopper. Threw the vernier on the hopper-tube and found that the dimension was almost perfect to allow the use of a piece of thin-wall copper pipe to slip over nicely to increase the volume. Is a tight enough fit that no powder slips down between the tubes and the 12" long piece allows me to go thru a full loading session with only one refill. Doesn't quite hold the full pound of a bottle of powder, but that could be easily solved with a couple of inch longer piece of pipe.

Craig - the match director at the Ridgway, PA matches, provided the shoe polish tip several years ago. I've found that cordavan works best. ;)
Glenn
trapper

Post by trapper »

I also use a B&M measurer from time to time. May I ask what the shoe polish trick might be?

Trapper
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Kiwi shoe polish makes a great lubricant for the sliding block.
Limber Up!
trapper

Post by trapper »

Thanks Luke.

Trapper
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

If you are loading with Swiss and you know you will use all that's in the bottle all you need do is turn it upside down in the hopper. Works like a chicken feeder. The key is using all that's in the bottle. I suppose if you had a spare bottle you could just stroke it until the transfer was done. I load in blocks of 100 rounds and at 69 grains per round I know I will use it all. The Olde 'E' mouth on the bottle is too big to do this without modification as described by the OP.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

If I tried to 'balance' an opened bottle of powder upside-down in my B&M there would soon be half-a-bottle's worth of powder scattered around on the loading bench and floor. ;)
Glenn
Woody

Post by Woody »

Glenn,

Tape it on with two strips of painters masking tape. I do.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Glen,

I learned long ago never to say never but in 12 years and thousands of rounds it hasn't happened YET!

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."