perfect 1000 yard targets in the original Creedmoor matches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

Re: perfect 1000 yard targets in the original Creedmoor matches

Post by bruce m »

david,
it was done as you describe.
i often wonder is such a format might be good today, for the reason that cartridge rifles could shoot in the same matches as muzzle loaders, thus increasing entry numbers.
of course in the day, some cartridge rifle shooters muzzle loaded anyway.
others breech seated.
bob,
long range black powder in usa continued until 1912. at the seagirt range amongst others.
as with all long range shooting, space for and maintainance of long ranges is and was an issue.
the military was more interested in what became across the course type shooting - 600 max.
this left 200 yd scheutzen ranges for the civilian market.
the old long range guys stuck with pp to the bitter end, probably because these bullets were just better for that job.
they had higher b.c. than greasers, and hence less wind deflection, and were truly aligned in the bore.
scheutzen greasers had different priorities, as did greasers for repeating rifles.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bobw

Post by bobw »

The first Creedmoor targets were 12 ' wide and 6' tall with a 36" bullseye. The width of 6 artillery men standing shoulder to shoulder and that is why they gave the outers a point value. It's true. they looked at things practically back then. bobw
bobw
BFD

Post by BFD »

bobw wrote:The first Creedmoor targets were 12 ' wide and 6' tall with a 36" bullseye. The width of 6 artillery men standing shoulder to shoulder and that is why they gave the outers a point value. It's true. they looked at things practically back then. bobw

How sure are you of this? I figured they just wanted to make it easier to catch a bullet in steep winds. But I like your explanation just as much or more. I have never heard that one though. Is there as source?
bobw

Post by bobw »

Yeah Brent there is. Steve Edelmen who wrote the article on JS Sumner for the volume 25 issue #1 of the SCA 's Sharps Collector Report. Simply an amazing article. He extensively researched JS Sumner's history and the 78 LR Borchardt he used and then hunted down the gun, bought it and spent lottsa bucks restoring it to original condition. He basically tied the Creedmoor era and it's end to the smokeless era and shorter range target shooting. bobw
bobw
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

ventum est amicus meus
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

just to back up hinman.
paper patches and a breech seater.

http://arco-iris.com/George/images/farrow_tools.jpg

keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

G'day Bruce, I am so glad we visited OZ. Lovely blue mountains and Sydney is truly a must visit city if you are in to cities. The hop on hop off bus and water taxi's made getting around the worlds largest natural harbor a snap. 8)
A big Cricket Match was on and the start of the Commonwealth Games was at hand so few Aussies or Americans were encountered in town as it was crowded with a tossed salad of the rest of the Commonwealth.
Could not find a gun shop in New Zealand or Sydney. :(
Somewhat amused to hear the Kiwi's refer to Australia as the Western Island :) :) :)
In OZ too many Aussieisms and accent to fully comprehend at times. :? We suspect that it is a stretch to call some of it English.
Qantas was great, made the 17 hour flight bearable. Still have jet lag two weeks later.
Think I have a better grasp of why Aussies think differently from Yanks. But, that is fodder for another time.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!