Getting the rifle to shoot again...

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

martinibelgian

Getting the rifle to shoot again...

Post by martinibelgian »

I'm sure some of you will be able to relate to this story, and probably even have some experience with it -but here goes..

At the end of last year, my LR BP target rifle started to lose accuracy - not only that, but it changed sight settings: about 80 minutes difference, and accuracy went from X-ring capable (if the nut behind did his thing) to barely 8-ring at 300m, with changing POI too. Kinda drove me crazy. I checked ammo, sights, blamed it on the 'nut behind', the new powder lot, whatever - until, waaay too late of course, it finally dawned on me.

I removed the buttplate, got out the stock bolt and noticed how loose the buttstock was in its socket. A wood shrinkage issue probably, which has the buttstock tenon almost rattling around in the receiver socket (Martini rifle) . So, a few minutes later an helped by the judicious application of some tape, I was tapping the buttstock home with a mallet, and reïnstalling the drawbolt.

Last sunday 1 was able to test it at 300, and accuracy had returned... No issues anymore. Simple? Yes. Easy to find? It's one of those things that sneaks up on you, a bit at a time untill finally accuracy goes to hell.

Still, happy that the issue has been solved.
Coltsmoke

Re: Getting the rifle to shoot again...

Post by Coltsmoke »

martinibelgian wrote: It's one of those things that sneaks up on you, a bit at a time untill finally accuracy goes to hell.
Sounds like old age to me. :(
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Coltsmoke wrote:
martinibelgian wrote: It's one of those things that sneaks up on you, a bit at a time untill finally accuracy goes to hell.
Sounds like old age to me. :(
OK.......... I'll bite. Where's the bolt located that I need to tighten to make me young again? ;)
Glenn
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I resemble that last comment! It made my day. I want to know where that bolt is as well.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

"UNTIL that tape compresses--------?"
Perhaps a metal foil would be better.
And it would be good to epoxy bed the tenon /end of the stock into the receiver socket.
beltfed/arnie
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Glenn I can't find that particular bolt. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

It's the one with nuts on one end. If it's permanently bent, it nearly unfixable.... :x :mrgreen: