.459 580 gr. Creedmoor

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dennis Armistead

.459 580 gr. Creedmoor

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Looking for some input on BACO's .459 580 gr. Creedmoor bullet. Any one shooting this for long range?
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
desert deuce

Re: .459 580 gr. Creedmoor

Post by desert deuce »

Hi Dennis, just to let you know, I have not tried that particular bullet and have no plans to do so.

I have tried various bullets up to 560 grains and have found that the length of the bullet and barrel twist seems to be more a determining factor than the weight to shoot higher scores at long range. Especially in tricky conditions.

Some shooters do use the heavier bullets to good effect in silhouette, Ted Tompkins comes to mind.

If you have a bone in your teeth to try the big honker, have at it. Just let us know how it works out.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Dennis Armistead

desert deuce wrote:Hi Dennis, just to let you know, I have not tried that particular bullet and have no plans to do so.

I have tried various bullets up to 560 grains and have found that the length of the bullet and barrel twist seems to be more a determining factor than the weight to shoot higher scores at long range. Especially in tricky conditions.

Some shooters do use the heavier bullets to good effect in silhouette, Ted Tompkins comes to mind.

If you have a bone in your teeth to try the big honker, have at it. Just let us know how it works out.
I hear ya, The reason that I ask is because my long range rifle has a 1-16" twist and am looking for a longer bearing surface round to try out. I am currently using a 540 gr. mini money that works great but I want to experiment a little.
Dennis
Longrange

Post by Longrange »

There's a saying. If its not broke don't fix it. It will cost you money. Vic
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

The heaviest bullet I have shot is a 554 gr. It is the one Harlan Sage sells. I was able to get a mould from Hardline before the closed shop. Shot great. It is called The Heavy Mini.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Good morning Dennis
Have 16, 17 & 18 twist rifles chambered in 45-90 and of course for competition use grease groove bullets.
It seems that for a balanced load for long range a money type bullet in the 1.44" to 1.46" length works best for me in most all conditions and twist rates.
For moderate to favorable conditions the BACO 459542 cast 1-16 alloy in a standard 45-90 chamber 18 twist gets the call.
It seems there is an advantage to a similar bullet in a 16 twist in poor to lousy conditions but it may not buy you but a couple of points during a string of fire, and, as you know one point can beat a pocket full of X's.
In moderate to favorable conditions it is hard to decide what or which twist is best but it does seem 1-16 alloy has a bit tighter core group than 1-20 in several different rifles with different twists when you are above 1300 fps, say 1320 to 1330 or so.
It's your call. Keep us informed. :D
Dennis Armistead

desert deuce wrote:Good morning Dennis
Have 16, 17 & 18 twist rifles chambered in 45-90 and of course for competition use grease groove bullets.
It seems that for a balanced load for long range a money type bullet in the 1.44" to 1.46" length works best for me in most all conditions and twist rates.
For moderate to favorable conditions the BACO 459542 cast 1-16 alloy in a standard 45-90 chamber 18 twist gets the call.
It seems there is an advantage to a similar bullet in a 16 twist in poor to lousy conditions but it may not buy you but a couple of points during a string of fire, and, as you know one point can beat a pocket full of X's.
In moderate to favorable conditions it is hard to decide what or which twist is best but it does seem 1-16 alloy has a bit tighter core group than 1-20 in several different rifles with different twists when you are above 1300 fps, say 1320 to 1330 or so.
It's your call. Keep us informed. :D
1-16 is a good call, I switched to that last year and couldn't be happier with the results, I also switched to 150M primers and like the results. The bullet that I have had the best results with is BACO's JIM459540M3 with reduced 1st band. My cartridge is a .45 2.6 using 87 gr. Swiss 1 1/2 , 030" poly wad. Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick with what I'm using now and not try for a longer bearing surface.
Dennis
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

If memory serves me correctly that is close to the load Dave Gullo used in his 2.6 Borchardt to win the World 1,000 in Phoenix last month.

Yeah, I think old Longrange may have a point. :roll:
Dennis Armistead

desert deuce wrote:If memory serves me correctly that is close to the load Dave Gullo used in his 2.6 Borchardt to win the World 1,000 in Phoenix last month.

Yeah, I think old Longrange may have a point. :roll:
Sure wish I could have gone to the match but work kept me tied up. Maybe next year. I need to finish up my new scope class rifle and see if it likes this load also.
Dennis