Close Range

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Close Range

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Went out this afternoon to run a few rounds down the Sharps. Set up at 150 yards, first loads using the abundance of FFFg I have on hand, likely the last until it cools off. I expected the fouling to be worse, but between the powder and the heat, it was a lot worse than expected. I am getting the sights figured out, and my ammunition is coming together, not there yet, but I am getting the process down. In some respects loading BP is easier, in other respects it is not. I have been casting and reloading for a slew of handgun cartridges, and for my Ruger No 1 and Marlin 45/70s, but 200 yards was as far as I ever shot until I put a ladder sight on the Marlin. I have slung Jacketed bullets out to beyond 1K from my 300 Win Mag, but trying to get my not so young eyes into this precision without magnification game at ranges beyond 250 yards is certainly a challenge. That will be my biggest hurdle, consistency in position, trigger pull, sight picture, and ammunition are all things I have control, over, I can't control the conditions, but consistency in the other reduces the environmental challenges. Above all else I am having fun, I really want to get a hanging metal target for the auditory feedback, especially as I have not found a spotter yet, short range isn't as much of an issue, but when you start moving out, dust clouds aren't very good spotters. In the process of paying off some bills, after that I am going to place an order for some FFg Old E, I like the GOEX I am shooting, even if it is a bit old, it is working well, but have read really good things about GOEX Old E. I love the challenge!
Clarence

Re: Close Range

Post by Clarence »

You didn't mention anything about fouling control. I imagine it was probably pretty hot and dry when you tested.

If you're not using a blow tube and blowing 4-6 good slow, deep breaths just before you load and fire, try that. If you were doing that, you might need to wipe between shots; lots of information on how to do that in various threads. Bore pigs are another option you can consider.

You didn't mention your lube; it would be helpful to let us know what you are using, as that may have an impact on recommendations.

Clarence
High Desert Hunter

I am using a blow tube, and cleaning every 5 shots. My lube is 55% beeswax, 40% lard, and 5% olive oil, I am thinking of eliminating the olive oil during the summer months due to the heat. One thing I am not getting is leading, and that makes me happy. It seems anything over 85 degrees is the issue, humidity yesterday was 10%-13%, and that doesn't help either. It has been 4 months since we received any measurable moisture.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I shoot PP only, and wipe bt shots. one damp and one dry. pushed to the front and out.
No big thing. Kind of eliminates the bore fowling issue when looking for short range accuracy.
a freezer bag keeps them wet and handy.
Ken
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

HDH,
Quit "blowing your brains out"
Throw away the blow tube and start wiping.
1 or 2 wet, depending on temp and humidity.
More sure consistency of barrel condition.
The other thing- try PP bullets.
beltfed/arnie
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Whatever you do for fouling control, has to be the same after each and every shot.
Get a tub of DGL for your lube.
I live in the Mojave Desert, and it's the best. :wink:
You can also use it for smokeless loads.
What caliber are you loading?
X2 on Old 'E' 2F, I use it in my .45-70 and .45-90 Sharps loads. It burns like 3F.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

High Desert Hunter wrote:I am using a blow tube, and cleaning every 5 shots. My lube is 55% beeswax, 40% lard, and 5% olive oil, I am thinking of eliminating the olive oil during the summer months due to the heat. One thing I am not getting is leading, and that makes me happy. It seems anything over 85 degrees is the issue, humidity yesterday was 10%-13%, and that doesn't help either. It has been 4 months since we received any measurable moisture.
Thought I'd chime in a little since I live in the Arizona heat and have had to deal with the low humidity and high temps. I quite using the blow tube method about 25 years ago and only wipe now. I also use DGL lube as it works better in high temps. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
High Desert Hunter

I have tried DGL for smokeless in the past, may still have a tub since I found one that works better for some of the cartridges I load and I do like to keep things simple.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

DGL works great as a 'chap-stick' too. :lol:
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

"precision without magnification at longer ranges" requires many things.
one often overlooked is matching the sight to the aiming mark.
if this does not happen, all else is wasted effort.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
High Desert Hunter

Chapstick hahahahahaha! In 30 years of casting bullets, can't say I have ever tried lube for chapstick!