Time Limit between relays in the BPCR Silhouette match

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hey Hoss

Time Limit between relays in the BPCR Silhouette match

Post by Hey Hoss »

What is the opinions of this group regarding the NRA time allowed for a shooter to complete his or her relay.
7 Min. 30 sec. I believe for the 1st bank of 5 and then stop reset, and then 5 min. for the second bank of 5 with no sighters.

Some of us modify the match to have the shooters shoot all ten animals in 12 min. with a 30 second "Ready" to save time and trips down range to set animals.

My question is this; should you allow for a shooter to finish shooting the animals after the time has run out on the relay? and if so what does that do for ( or to the other shooters) that are trying to finish in time.

Perfect example is the "new shooter" scenario ( we have all been there) my opinion is that the time allotted is what was decided it took for a "somewhat" proficient rifleman to shoot the shot, blow tube or wipe, see the impact of the shot, read the wind converse with the spotter, make corrections and send the next shot down.

This string is just to see the different opinions out there for the "monthly" matches; The state and regional matches are usually governed by NRA rules and if you have 3 rams left when the buzzer goes off that's 3 more misses.
Some people like the monthly matches to follow the NRA rules so shooters will be ready and used to allowed time frame and others want the monthly matches to be allot more relaxed and let the time be an approximate and if you have 3 rams left go ahead and finish ?

Just wondering what the consensus is?
LazyM

Re: Time Limit between relays in the BPCR Silhouette match

Post by LazyM »

I was a "newbie" at one point...some may say, still...perhaps even me! :-P Having said that, part of this game is learning all the nuances it involves. What bullet? What powder? Do I compress? Do I cast or buy my bullets? Do I wipe or blow? Where can I find a spotter as good as me? How much do I tell my wife that I really spend on this sport? Etc., etc.

Part of the process also involves the shooting process. Learning how to shoot, correct, clean, and shoot again...all within the time limits given by the match director. Be that whatever it is. Not all shoots are the same, and all involve a bit of learning/adjusting. How many of us have seen really good, knowledgeable shooters get off their last shot at the last second...for a hit! Ok, or maybe a miss. How many times did we not get all shots off for whatever reason?

Anyone new to the sport will learn how to deal with the limitations placed upon them by the match director. We all did. Why do we think they aren't at least as smart as us? Give them credit, they will learn. Just give them a great environment to do so. (Thanks here to Mr. Simon for helping me along...still miss you my friend).

As always, just 2 cents...
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

It doesn't do a beginner any favors to bend/relax the rules for him. And the present time limits are by no means onerous.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

One of the hardest things to do when beginning to shoot silhouette is to not let that clock get into your head. Get the stuff organized, and learn to manage fouling and the clock..
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

Making "allowances" for any shooter at a club level only introduces bad habits and a tendency to not play by the rules.
If you want to play the game, learn the rules.
While running the matches from the tower at last years Lever-gun Silhouette Nationals at Raton, the amount of trouble I had with shooters not following the rules because "that's not how we do it at home" was annoying to say the least and down-right dangerous at its worst.

Daniel
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

If they say that's not how we do it at home, tell them well now your not at home. At Raton they are in the big leagues.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've been shooting BPCR silhouette for 26 years and in that time I think I only ran out of time once. The biggest problem I see is that some shooters are not organized and ready to shoot upon the Fire command. You need to get all your stuff on the line and set up and ready to go. You should have the rifle in hand pointed downrange when the Fire command is given instead of still fumbling with the setup. The one thing that slows down an experienced shooter is waiting out a condition. This will never change. I usually finish a relay early unless conditions were really challenging.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Being a RO for a local BPCR Silhouette matches, I have found that the time limits are just fine and quite doable. The shooters for the most part have attended a match as a spectator before they show up for their first match and have an idea of the time limits. The rules are gone over before things start at our matches. The shooter should be aware of the time but not worry about it. Their spotter should keep a closer eye on the clock and let the shooter know when time is getting short.
A shooter is very much better off with 4 well placed hits than they are to rush things to get all five shots off and rack up more misses than hits. If you run out of time on your string, then talk things over with your spotter and/or other shooters to see where you came up short and then work on solving that problem.
By setting up on my perch behind the firing line I get to see what the shooters do on the line as far as loading and fouling control. For the most part I really don't see anyone that seems to be rushed. Yes some do use every bit of their time but it seems to be a rare occasion when someone runs out of time to get their last shot off.
I do know that some shooters will use up all of their time trying to wait out conditions, that's just part of the game.
The fun of the sport is being competitive and shooting a good score. All of that will come with practice. As you practice, you refine your skills and time management. Everyone starts at about the same place, the bottom of the barrel and you strive to move up from there.
Bottom line is with a little practice the time limits seem to be quite acceptable. I have even seen a shooter that was wiping between shots and then breach loading his ammunition. He was shooting paper patched and I don't remember the reason he couldn't use fixed ammo in that particular rifle. He didn't run out of time and didn't seem to be overly rushed. He laid down and did his thing and did it well.
YMMV
Sam
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

To expand just a little on what John said, as a Rage Officer, the little voice in everyone's ear everyone should be ready to shoot when the command is given. My big gripe is that people will not speak up when the line is asked if it is ready. Personally I cant remember just who is to be where on any given relay. If you suddenly find out you forgot something, your spotter isn't there yet or what ever, yell, wave your hand and let the RO know. I know that many of the folks I see showing up at the matches are getting a bit advanced in years and just don't move as fast as the target setters do. Also mother nature calls usually at the least opportune time, hey it happens. I honestly don't think that any of the shooters are going to bitch if they have to wait another minute or 2 for someone to be ready, next time it just might be them.
If you do have a small delay on the firing line waiting for someone, thats just a second chance to check out the conditions, make sure your stuff is all in order and your position is comfortable.
Sam