I shot a group

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

I shot a group

Post by High Desert Hunter »

It was hotter than Hades yesterday, but I wanted to empty some 375 Ruger brass, so I brought the trusty Sharps along. Before the wind really picked up (20mph gusts), I fired a 5 shot string blowing breech and muzzle, range was 152 yards, group measured 3" CTC for 4 shots, the 5th shot I pulled and was almost off the target. Of the 10 shots fired from the Sharps only had one that really went awry, and that was a trigger pull at the wrong time, big gust of wind carried it just off the paper (standard 8 1/2"x11"). Temperature was 95* and the humidity was up a little at 19%, wind was at just about 90*, light when I started, but 25 minutes in it picked up to 10-12 with gusts to 25. I was very happy with the results, feel like I am moving in the right direction, nice not needing a bag of shot between the rifle and my shoulder for the range work. The 70 rounds of 454 just capped off the day. Load was a 535gr Creedmoor in Starline cases over 69gr of GOEX FFg lit by a Winchester large rifle primer, wad is a waxed butcher paper cut with a 45 ACP case, still slowly assembling tools.

Dave
Coltsmoke

Re: I shot a group

Post by Coltsmoke »

Wow! 19% humidity, I can only dream of that. :)
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
High Desert Hunter

Today I got out early, and even with setup time I had a good hour of shooting before the heat and the wind shut me down. Shot more of the GOEX FFFg and the Brooks 535gr Creedmoor using a blow tube between shots. Distance was 110 yards, and temperature was 82*, wind started out at 5 mph coming straight on to my back, shooting was done from the prone position. After fouling shot, next 3 shots went into .9", next 3 opened it up 2" on the verticle, almost certain it was me and my sight picture, I still haven't removed the barrel sights, I really need to as the glare coming off of them made a good sight picture very difficult. I am hooked, but the process of getting where I want to be is going to be a longer journey than I planned, need cooler weather. Need some cooler weather to make casting more pleasant as well.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Coltsmoke wrote:Wow! 19% humidity, I can only dream of that. :)
It's 9% here @ 97*-11am. :P

HDH-Get a can of sight black. :wink:

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
High Desert Hunter

Sight Black, will give it a try until I call and order the filler kit.