PP paper thickness.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CaptnJack

PP paper thickness.

Post by CaptnJack »

I have the #9 onion skin paper. What would be the next thickness paper to use for mt PP bullets? Just shoving a few PP bullets through the barrel it seems I might be able to use the next thickness paper just to make them a little more resistant. I am using BA, 540gr .443 PP money bullet. When I finally get them loaded> still cutting and sizing my basic brass for my 45-70. I kind of want to see and shoot say 25 with the #9 paper and another 25 with a little thicker paper.
powderburner

Re: PP paper thickness.

Post by powderburner »

Finding the exact paper thickness may be tough. It varies a lot in thickness.
So the search will be fun. start by taking your calipers to the paper store and measure your find.
You may have better luck playing with the alloy for a tho or so difference
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Or get a .444 mould... But I'd 1st 'shoot 'n see'...
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

patching dry will give a slightly greater thickness than patching wet.
always easier to match the bullet to the paper than vice versa.
the thinner the paper for a good fit is better.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Im running the .443 PP elliptical, 16-1 lead from baco and I run 9# and I am at .449-.4495. I tried to get it to .450 and did but bullet dia really screwed me, if the bullet was off more than half a thou then it wouldn't fit. So I just stuck with the 9#. Seat your bullet out far... she will bump up .001 :D
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

This problem of fit and paper/bullet variations is why I have push through sizing dies that fit each of my rifles perfectly.

I spent way too much time trying to get my bullet to fit my Hepburn just right and then fighting to try and chamber them at matches. It probably cost me a couple of wins. With a sizing die at .4504" I patch dry and just run the .451" +/- bullet through the die and they ALL fit with the same thumb pressure and accuracy has been good.

I have measured naked bullets before and after sizing and there is no difference I can find. So the sizing is just smoothing out the paper and making the patched diameter more uniform bullet to bullet.

I am patching a .444+ bullet with 9 lb. 100% cotton onion skin. I follow the same procedure with my .40-65 and it works there to.

The other choice is to just work with a bullet that is a bit undersize to begin with and live with the less than perfect alignment in the bore and it will bump up and can shoot pretty well. I prefer to get very bit of accuracy I can out of my loads. There are things that matter and things that don't, I believe fit matters.

Thicker paper is not the best way to fix the problem.

YMMV

DT
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

ALSO:
One should note that at times, that perfect PP bullet fit that was attained at the loading bench can get
TIGHT, if the weather gets humid. Paper is Hygroscopic- depending on what moisture content- often typically up to 7%, it picks up more moisture up to a point of equilibrium
with the ambient humidity AND SWELLS.
Been there done that...…
Have carried a Lee hand press with Lee bullet size die to some matches. for that reason.
beltfed/arnie
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

Thanks all for advice.
I am just going to shoot what I have and see which way it goes. I think I am putting way too much into it. Trying to get things just right without firing a shot. Not really the way to go.
BFD

Post by BFD »

cap, it would be pretty darn easy, I think to hone a thousandth or so more diameter to that bullet and probably make it a bit shinier and smoother too.

Otherwise try other brands of 9# paper and hope that one of them is little thicker than the one you have. ebay (search on "onionskin paper") is a good place to watch.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Distant Thunder wrote:This problem of fit and paper/bullet variations is why I have push through sizing dies that fit each of my rifles perfectly.

I spent way too much time trying to get my bullet to fit my Hepburn just right and then fighting to try and chamber them at matches. It probably cost me a couple of wins. With a sizing die at .4504" I patch dry and just run the .451" +/- bullet through the die and they ALL fit with the same thumb pressure and accuracy has been good.

I have measured naked bullets before and after sizing and there is no difference I can find. So the sizing is just smoothing out the paper and making the patched diameter more uniform bullet to bullet.

I am patching a .444+ bullet with 9 lb. 100% cotton onion skin. I follow the same procedure with my .40-65 and it works there to.

The other choice is to just work with a bullet that is a bit undersize to begin with and live with the less than perfect alignment in the bore and it will bump up and can shoot pretty well. I prefer to get very bit of accuracy I can out of my loads. There are things that matter and things that don't, I believe fit matters.

Thicker paper is not the best way to fix the problem.

YMMV

DT

good call on the sizer dies, I will look into that myself!!!! makes perfect sense though. guess its time for a new mould :D sure am glad my wife loves me :lol:
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

BA has 9# onion skin paper that is .002 thick. For a .450 bore using that paper, would you order a .452 or .453 bullet?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

sometimes multipliing paper thickness x 4 does not say how much thickness is added to the bullet.
as paper stretches it gets thinner.
and it will stretch more when wet that when dry.
in my memory, the baco paper adds 0.006 to 0.007 to a bullet depending on how you do it.
sometimes it pays to heed brent's advice and buy a few kinds of paper on ebay.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Coltsmoke wrote:BA has 9# onion skin paper that is .002 thick. For a .450 bore using that paper, would you order a .452 or .453 bullet?

I meant to say order a .442 or .443 bullet.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
firefighter1990

Post by firefighter1990 »

I use a .443" bullet for all my 45 bpcr's. I use the #9 paper and dry-wrap exclusively. I have had pretty good results thus far. I've even managed to do well in a couple silhouette matches too. I've found that barrel contour plays a small roll in bore size: especially in button rifle where the grooves are broached collectively rather than one at a time. For example: my lightly contoured military Shiloh doesn't require as much thumb pressure to seat where as my heavy contoured LRE does. More over; my kreiger barrel (cut rifled) rolling block is a bit tighter yet. All of which are still slip-fit. Given the physics of how black powder and soft bore-diameter ppb's work when the fire is lit: I think a .443" pill is perfect!
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

ff1990 has it figured pretty well. 9 lb. paper should add .007". I in effect use a .444" bullet for my Hepburn with it's .4505" bore and patch with 9 lb. The fit requires an fair amount of thumb pressure to chamber, but man does it shoot well. I do size the patched bullets though.

DT
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder