Setting up to reload 40-65, what dies would you suggest?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Setting up to reload 40-65, what dies would you suggest?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

Well we are now into the homestretch on spec'ing the 1877 build. Have decided on 40-65 with a 14" twist. Have no reloading for the 40-65 so looking for some input.

1. What brand dies? I'm personally partial to Redding.

2. Neck size only, or should I get FL sizer AND neck sizer dies? Will be shooting greasers to start out anyway.

3. To get a sliiiiiight crimp (for hunting) would you suggest just using the FL die w/o the stem in to get a very light taper crimp?

4. Just use BACO for expander/compression dies? Any other suggestion?

5. Will probably get Redding completion seater dies.

Thanks!

PS. Will be purchasing new Starline brass and annealing it before first use.

Wade
Don McDowell

Re: Setting up to reload 40-65, what dies would you suggest?

Post by Don McDowell »

Haven't used Redding dies in the 40-65, but do like them in the other cartridges I have sets for. The Lyman M die set works well for the 40-65's that live here.
A compression die from BACO is a must have whether or not you size the cases after fireforming.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Personally, for my 40-65 I form the brass with Redding FL die from 45-70s( Like RP, but using WW now for
slightly greater case capacity),( I also have a Lyman set. The M die in it is very useful:
I use the M expanding die from my LYman dieset to do the expanding.
Then, once I have fire formed the brass, I ONLY run the M die thru the brass
to "catch" any brass that may have had a ding on the case mouth from handling or
from cleaning them in tumbler with ceramic media.
Since you are going to use 40-65 Starline, no need to FL size.
Just anneal, then run an M die into the neck to make sure it is round,
The M die also has a step on the plug to make sure of a 0.411-.412 mouth
for easy SLIP FIT hand seating of bullets.
Of course for hunting loads, a person could neck size/expand to hold the ctg together better
beltfed/arnie
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have also used the M die to compress the powder.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I've got a couple of Shiloh Sharps rifles in .40-65. I like the RCBS dies made specifically for the Shiloh .40-65 chamber.

I've been either slip fitting or using a Redding Competition Seater to seat bullets. Both work extremely well, but I like to experiment and have now got the inline seater setup from Shiloh. I haven't tried that yet.

You will want a custom expander or two from Buffalo Arms. I use a 0.408" expander for a 0.409" bullet most of the time. And a BACO powder compression die of course.

Chris.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

i prefer to resize 45/70 brass as the 40/65 starline usually is a little short art
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I shoot a Sharps 40 70 SS, original, ez to shoot and load,
brass IS around and I use the 30 40 Craig. it works very well, and I like the rounded rim which makes it ez to
use in the Sharps dropping block.
I know the more 'modern' 40 65 is a 45 70 base case, but not for me....
after all, we shoot 'antique' guns...right?
just sayin' Ken
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents

Thanks for the feedback, should get me going in the right direction. Feel silly going with the 40-65 as I have everything in need to hit the ground running in 45-70.

But have never heard anything bad about the 40-65 and I think it will suit my needs well going forward. Just annoying having to spend all that $$ to gear up for another cartridge.

Kenny, I did give some serious thought to the 40-70SS. That is one sexy looking round, no question! I feel the same way about the .257 Weatherby magnum, just looks cool and mean setting there!

Not too long ago there was quite a thread discussion on the 40-70SS. It seems like the overall general feeling is that it was a finicky round to get shooting well. No experience with it myself but sure looks like it should be a straight ahead round to load. If I was to hazard a guess I’d say the limiting factor on that round is the brass. To many varieties with varying levels of quality. If someone like Starling would make a batch I bet you would see some more consistent results by the average user.

Art, I’ve heard a lot of people say Starline is generally a bit short and it generally true. I’ve got some Starline brass that is a bit short but that was my fault. When I started this BP loading journey I bought a bunch of 45-70 brass and the first thing I did was trim it all to min spec just like I would do with any of my CF smokeless rounds. Shortly after that I found this forum and realized I had made a big mistake, Doh!

So I will probably be getting a case stretcher tool to correct that brass for my roller chamber and will use the tool to do the same thing for my 40-65 brass. I like my headstamps to match the chamfering, even if I have to spend a little to get it that way!

Cheers!

Wade
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Wade if you form your own .40-65 from .45-70 cases you will never need a stretcher. You also won't need anything other than a .40-65 sizer die to form the cases. In my Shiloh .40-65's I have to trim a lot off of the Remington .45-70 cases after they have been sized & fire formed.

If you are set up for the .45-70 it will be easy to get the .40-65 up and running.

Chris.
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Why do people think that annealing cases "improves" them? Next thing you know, you will be doing regular trimming because of stretching of the softened cases. As I posted on the previous topic, I have a batch of 40-65's with ca 60 rd thru each ctg case, with no case failures. If you NEED to anneal cases, you are working them too much.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I use all Redding dies with good results