How many cases to get when starting out on a new caliber?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

How many cases to get when starting out on a new caliber?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Guys

As a general rule how many cases do you consider ideal when starting to work with a new-to-you calibur? Gearing up for the 40-65 and will be procuring cases.

Not looking for minimum, but rather ideal.

Will be mostly the silly-wette game, at least to start.

Any preference on brand? Partial to Starline and I know they tend to be a bit short. If I have to stretch so be it. Have quite a few people say to just reform 45-70 brass, fire form and fit to chamber as necessary.

Probably great advice but it would irritate me to put an incorrect head stamped brass in my 1877! Silly I know, but there it is.

Cheers!

Wade
monkeyboy

Re: How many cases to get when starting out on a new caliber?

Post by monkeyboy »

BFD

Post by BFD »

500 at least. I like Starline. I also prefer reformed .45s because it's easier to get them the right length.
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

When I commenced to shoot MR and silhouette with a 40-65, I formed 200 cases from REM 45-70 brass. I have about 12,000 rd thru the rifle and still have most of the cases. A few are lost, strayed, or stepped on. Don't remember any case failures. So I don't know why anyone would want many more than 200.
CHRIS
RGChristensen
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

When I commenced to shoot MR and silhouette with a 40-65, I formed 200 cases from REM 45-70 brass. I have about 12,000 rd thru the rifle and still have most of the cases. A few are lost, strayed, or stepped on. Don't remember any case failures. So I don't know why anyone would want many more than 200.
CHRIS
RGChristensen
BFD

Post by BFD »

Chris, Raton is 240 for score assuming no tie breakers

With sighters, plinking and showing off, I can burn up 400 really easily. If there is a match close to either end of nationals, I'm going through 500 really quick.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Somewhere between 2 and 600 if it's a rifle you're planning on running hard, and traveling. 200 probably take care of it if you just shoot an occasional match mostly close to home and your reloading equipment
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

BRENT:
I generally use the 40 only for the Position Matches, and the "big gun" for the MR prone and LR. You are right, of course, that 42 x 6 = 250+
My loading room is enough of a "hooraw's nest" already, without another couple dozen boxes of ammo underfoot. I have maybe 300+ rd for the 45 - 2.6 and that, too, has always been a great plenty. But I shoot a lot of local silhouette and other fun matches, and need 100 rd for this gun, 100 rd for that one, etc., and then ammo for "toys", guns that are just fun to play with. Not that I mind, but the logistics can seem to be getting out of hand at times.
All this having been said, I still don't think that I ever WANT to have more ctg cases than I really need.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

It depends on how much you plan to shoot. Will it be an occasional match or several matches back to back or just some fun plinking? In 2016 when I left home for a shooting trip which was 3 days of shooting in MI followed by 4 days in Raton I had 700 loaded rounds with me in two calibers. I brought some home but not many. Start with 200 and if you think you will need more then get 400 or more. They last. I've still got some 45/70 cases I've been using since 1992.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Better to have a few to many than be one round short at a match. JMHO YMMV :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

P.S I bought 300 starline 40/65 brass when I got my rifle and have not worked up the courage to go out and shoot it. Afraid I might put a mark on it.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Steve,

A rifle, like any tool, is meant to be used, and when used, will acquire a few usage marks.

Wade,

I consider 250 a practical minimum-2 60 shot matches (160 with sighters), sighters (25-50, depending on your experience level), and 20-30 for a potential shutoff, plus a few extras. If you plan to go to a match like the National and shoot both scope and iron, double that. As long as you don't lose them or aren't careless in your loading, they will last the life of your rifle.

Clarence
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

Sage advice one and all, appreciated. At least initially it will be "local" matches, i.e. within 3-4 hours drive. Hope to be able to travel to some of the big events some day but for now that will have to be "some day". Travel too much for work as it is, the Mrs. needs to see me once in a while too. :wink:

In addition to the matches the rifle may make it into the hunting fields which also takes up some cases which will be setting around loaded for some time.

So I think I will go the 500 route and get it over with, I hate stuff setting around unused but I hate running short even more!

So now I will probably have two batches of short brass, thinking of ordering the Kal stretcher from Montana Charlie in 45-70 and 40-65 to get the perfect fit.

QUESTION!
In regards to the "perfect fit", I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering if anyone else has done this. I have a Hawkeye bore scope, was thinking of taking a piece of once fired brass, drilling out the primerpocket with a hole large enough to insert the bore scope and then looking at the case mouth in relation to the chamber lead. Then adjust the length to the "perfect" fit. Once done then you can use this case as the "master" case for the proper case length for that particular firearm. Should be easier that doing a chamber cast and more stable/durable to boot.

Anyone try this method?

Cheers!

Wade
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Trigger1212 wrote:Gents,

Sage advice one and all, appreciated. At least initially it will be "local" matches, i.e. within 3-4 hours drive. Hope to be able to travel to some of the big events some day but for now that will have to be "some day". Travel too much for work as it is, the Mrs. needs to see me once in a while too. :wink:

In addition to the matches the rifle may make it into the hunting fields which also takes up some cases which will be setting around loaded for some time.

So I think I will go the 500 route and get it over with, I hate stuff setting around unused but I hate running short even more!

So now I will probably have two batches of short brass, thinking of ordering the Kal stretcher from Montana Charlie in 45-70 and 40-65 to get the perfect fit.

QUESTION!
In regards to the "perfect fit", I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering if anyone else has done this. I have a Hawkeye bore scope, was thinking of taking a piece of once fired brass, drilling out the primerpocket with a hole large enough to insert the bore scope and then looking at the case mouth in relation to the chamber lead. Then adjust the length to the "perfect" fit. Once done then you can use this case as the "master" case for the proper case length for that particular firearm. Should be easier that doing a chamber cast and more stable/durable to boot.

Anyone try this method?

Cheers!

Wade
Wade,
when I want to know the exact length I need for a chamber, I use a case that is longer (untrimmed) and insert that into the chamber then measure the distance to the breech block, then I know how much to trim off for a perfect fit.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Totally depends on what you plan on using the rifle for and how often. If you are going to travel to several shoots and don't plan on reloading, you need enough for all.

I have 500 per rifle. I have shot over 500 at the Quigley shoot. I also never go there with one rifle. 1600 mile trip and I will not run out. I try to take 2 same caliber that I can interchange if it comes to that.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Started with 250 in 1999. Still shoot 123 of them. Have not yet bought any others.