White Lightening Lube and Lead Corrosion

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ole pizen slinger

White Lightening Lube and Lead Corrosion

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Anyone found a solution to the problem of White Lightening lube corroding lead bullets. I'd be interested in what you have to say.
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
Coltsmoke

Re: White Lightening Lube and Lead Corrosion

Post by Coltsmoke »

Shoot them fast. :lol: How long they been sitting around? Send the rest of that lube to me and do not use it. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

ole pizen slinger wrote:Anyone found a solution to the problem of White Lightening lube corroding lead bullets. I'd be interested in what you have to say.
OPS
I've been using White Lightening lube for over 4 years & have seen no signs of lead corrosion. What you may be seeing is the lube absorbing moisture and growing whiskers, which is not lead corrosion. After Dan Theodore developed the lube he freely made it clear that WL should not be used if long-term, lubed-bullet storage is desired. If you leave WL-lubed bullets in moist, warm weather, in a few weeks the lube will absorb too much moisture, grow whiskers and pop out of the grooves". For this reason I keep my WL lubed bullets in a freezer for extended storage & have not had any problems.

If you desire to store lube bullets for an extended time, use a beeswax based lube. But, per Dan, "beeswax creates quite a bit of fouling in the bore and does nothing to improve fouling control. It is basically just a carrier for the active ingredients as well as a preservative."

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Don't listen to Coltsmoke. He will just waste the lube.

Send me a PM and we can arrange to take it off your hands, trust me.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!