Results of first shots with new Shiloh

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

Re: Results of first shots with new Shiloh

Post by bruce m »

kurt,
you just have to shoot them on targets at long range, and compare the plots, to tell the difference when it gets close.
i can vouch for 12:1 shooting with less drop than 16:1.
there is also the need for slightly longer patches on the 16:1 bullets suggesting that the noses are shorter on the softer alloy.
the big improver in b.c. is nose length.
possibly how the shank blends with the ogive also has something to do with airflow who knows.?
of the bullets in your photo, i would look hard at no 14 with no other evidence than the photo.
these aer 45 cals?
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

dont want to hijack the thread I just have a question regarding bullet hardness......

If you shoot XXX bullet with XXX hardness in a 45-70 will you get more "bump up" in a 45-100, 110,120?? could I run a harder bullet in the 45-100, etc??
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
BFD

Post by BFD »

If you hit it with a bigger hammer, you make a bigger mark. Yes.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

but it only has to bump up enough to take the rifling and seal the gas.
this takes experimenting.
it can only bump as far as the internal barrel.
softer bullets bump harder into the rifling, having more friction according to william metford.
other things that can affect degree of bumpup include wad thickness/hardness, wads themselves or a stack.
greasers do not seem to seal as hard as pp bullets, possibly because a lot of bumpup goes to the grease grooves.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Bruce,

Don't forget those GG's are filled with grease, and that grease has nowhere to go when that bulllet is travelling down the tube. Add to that the fact that a GG bullet usually is groove dia. or slightly over...
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Another enjoyable outing with my new rifle. Following advice from one of you fine gents, I loaded 84.0 grains of 1 1/2 Fg Swiss and a .062" thick poly wad which filled my Winchester brass to the mouth. Compressed .123" for BACo 443530E bullet 1:25 tin/lead, patched with .0015" thick paper to .449". Bullets are nice snug fit without damaging paper and cartridges can be handled without fear of dislodging the bullets.
At 100 meters I shot the group illustrated using MVA Hadley disc and 4th smallest aperture, and a ring aperture in the front globe. Cleaned between shots.
100_8222.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

You should 'plot' the rounds.
That's where you number the rounds on the target, to see where shot #1 is in relation to shot #5 etc.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

D, that is a pretty good rifle and a nice shooting load! You are on the right track. Now stretch the yardage.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

your vertical may just be butt stock position...are you still using the same "wipe" method?? oil/water?? I would still try the 16-1 lead as well

I shoot more at the target than 5, try 10 and do it pretty quick if possible. I try to simulate a actual shoot in my head :D

your getting there tho!!! good luck!!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Great advice all around. I have three CAS matches in the next three weeks, and will be using my rifle in side matches at all of them. After that, I'll try some shooting at longer ranges. We're lucky here...we have a 1200 yard range. There's a full sized bullalo at 1000 meters. More fun to come.
July 22, 2018.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.