Spencer rifles

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

T.Parker

Spencer rifles

Post by T.Parker »

Hey everyone, this may be a little off topic from the sharps. However im pretty keen on buying a reproduction spencer rifle from chiappa and Im not sure weather to go with the 45LC or the 56/50. Has anyone had any experience with the 56/50?
George Babits

Re: Spencer rifles

Post by George Babits »

If you want it to be a Spencer go with the 56-50. Fun little cartridge. Easy to load and great to shoot. I can't speak for the replicas, but I sure have fun with my converted original.

George
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I own an original (centerfire breach installed) in 56 50. It is an easy round to load, get brass for, etc.
It is extremely accurate at 50 yds. and hits the rocks at 100 .

the gun is made to eject the 50 and works best that way.
You have to give it a good push on the lever to eject and load.
but it works Every Time.

I even got a Blakeslee loading box.

fun gun....
Ken
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yes, you definately have to work the lever hard. The Spencer is nothing like a '92 Winchester! The extractor is a bit weak on mine and you have to have the action properly"tilted" for proper ejection. Once you get the feel for it things work great. Mine is also a 56-50. Someday I'll redo the front sight to make it higher so it isn't shooting 20 inches high.

On a side note, I just picked up a "Spencer" made in Belgium in 1873. Less than 1000 were made and it was made in center fire! Excellent bore and didn't cost much more than an Italian replica. Can't wait to see how it will shoot.

George
T.Parker

Post by T.Parker »

Rhanks for the responces guys. Would any of you happen to have reloading data on the 56/50 ?
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Spencers are strictly black powder rifles. The action isn't as strong as it looks. The Lyman handbook lists some loads but they look pretty wimpy to me. I've been using 40 grains of FFg and FFFg. Both shoot pretty clean. That is with the Lyman 515139 bullet which weighs about 350 grains. I read somewhere that the original loading was 40 grains of FFg, but Barnes, in Cartridges of the World, says the original loading was 45 grains. You would really have to compress it to get that much powder in those cases. Every rifle is different so do some experimentation with your own when you get it. One thing you will also find if you get an original, the StarLine 56-50 rim is too big for the original magazines so you will need cut down 50-70 brass from Buffalo Arms if you get an original. From what I've heard both StarLine and cut down 50-70 will work in the replicas. I sue the shortened 50-70 in my original, but I have a single shot Peabody carbine that I can use either in.

George
Salmon, Idaho
T.Parker

Post by T.Parker »

Ill be going with the reproduction... an origonal is a fair bit too expensive for me especially considering I live in Australia. Thanks for the advise, with the powder charge, is that by volume or weight?
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I load by weight; the Lyman book says it is by volume.

George
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I understand that there is a Spencer Shooters Society within the Cowboy Action Shooters forum and there are several members down there in Oz who can probably help you find a good replica Spencer. From what I understand there is a wealth of knowledge about the Spencers, both original and replica, on that forum. Take a look and see if you can find someone reasonably close to you who can lead you in the right direction. I have no first hand knowledge of any of the replica Spencers out there.

Cheers,
George
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Maybe someday Shiloh can tool up and make us some Spencer Buffalo Sporters? Hehe
“Shiloh Spencer”?
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Why on earth would Shiloh want to do that? They can't keep up with what they are building now. Let the competition build a Spencer.

George
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

especially when the borchardt needs doing so badly.
(with the zischang trigger in long range form)
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus