Federal's new primer technology

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Federal's new primer technology

Post by TexasMac »

I know you guys understand how primers work, so you can quickly read through the standard stuff & check out the comments about Federals new Catalyst primer technology the company in converting over to. I use Federal large pistol primers for BPCR so it caught my interest.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/cartridge-p ... =ene070218

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
rgchristensen

Re: Federal's new primer technology

Post by rgchristensen »

WAYNE:
One of the bugaboos of "new primer technology", over the past century or so, has been long-term stability. Probably the chief perceived improvement of the new FEDERAL primer is the lead-free recipe.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

hope it doesn't turn our like Winchesters second rendition of the Model 70 from 1964-65.

Just last week I was shooting head stamped military ball 1953 30-06 and it shot just fine as did L-C Match 1961.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Aside from the corrosive aspect, the old chlorate primers have always been excellent. I have some 11mm Mauser ammo loaded with them from early 1880's that is all still sure-fire. OTOH, I have a bucketful of 303 British loaded by FN in ca 1950 with early NC primers that are completely dead. An old engineering principle is "If you improve something enough, you will eventually screw it up!" Another principle is that existing technology is, at first, superior to emerging technology. Time will tell what these new Federal primers will do.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

TM

Very interesting read, learned a few things about primers, nice!

I imagine it will be some time (years) before they are available as a loading component.

That big collective groan you are hearing in the producers of the loading manuals. Will be interesting to see how this affects traditional loads/pressures for the various caliburs.

And yes, it will be interesting to see what Federal has to say about longevity. I bet it will be just as good or better than the old ones. But time will tell.

Cheers!

Wade
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

By the time any serious change takes place I'll be so much further into my dotage that it will make no difference. Just need enough BR2s to get me there.
Glenn
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I'm betting Federal (Vista Outdoor) will convert all their ammo & primer sales to the Catalyst primers ASAP. It's already used in some of their high-volume handgun ammo and for FBI and other military contracts. Here's some more data on the new primer technology.

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovclou ... orial7.pdf

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

If it's cheaper, If It makes more profit,
It WILL be done, and quickly.

don't forget, It's all about business.....
then the government will get involved to make us 'safer' and it will be hard to get and expensive.

remember going to the store and buying a pound of Black Powder for $10....
Before the government got involved??

Ken
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Hey, I remember going to the store and buying a pound of black powder for $1.15 !!

CHRIS
RGChristensen
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Don't get your hopes up of getting your hands on these primers to soon. I contacted federal the other day. because I am running out of wolf large pistol primers and need a replacement . They told me these primers are only avalable in loaded ammo.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Party Poopers....anyway, I am plumb fine with the current production.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!