Drop tube and compression?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Clarence

Re: Drop tube and compression?

Post by Clarence »

One way to get a more consistent pour into the case is to use a Satern 17 cal. funnel (I use a 17 cal. insert in the bottom of my RCBS powder measure to do the same thing). Takes only a bit longer and really increases the consistency, since every charge drops in the same time. Only occasional bridging with Swiss 1 1/2.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Clarence,
Even better, you can build a vibrating mechanism onto your droptube and it will never bridge and will settle more uniformly.
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

BFD wrote:Clarence,
Even better, you can build a vibrating mechanism onto your droptube and it will never bridge and will settle more uniformly.
I agree with BFD again........
SHCB1
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Brent,

I'm sure that works, but I don't consider the occasional bridging a problem that needs solving for me. I check every case after throwing the powder, and a slight tap on the measure takes care of the problem. With the slow drop, I find very consistent settling.

Clarence
BFD

Post by BFD »

Everyone has their favorite method. With the vibrator I just dump all the powder in the funnel and hit the switch. It slow drops while I weigh out the next charge. I get impatient doing the slow drop by hand, so this was my remedy. Makes for remarkably consistent powder heights in the cases.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

I'm with BFD, I've been using a drop tube with a vibrator on it for many years, it does make for an accurate load. It compacts so tight you need to tap on the case pretty hard several times to get the powder to dislodge and come out of the case if you need to remove the powder
stikshooter

Post by stikshooter »

Anyone like to share info on building a vibrator to aid in (compression) Thanks Ed
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

stikshooter wrote:Anyone like to share info on building a vibrator to aid in (compression) Thanks Ed
Why build one? You can find them at any adult store..............

Sorry, I couldn't resist it. :wink: :wink:
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

Cast boolits had info on this subject
SHCB1
BFD

Post by BFD »

here are three pictures of my drop tube assembly. Take some time and work out the ergonomics for your needs. For me, I mount the tube on a table to my left. I toggle switch the motor on and off with each case using my right hand while inserting and extracting the case from the bottom of the assembly where the cartridge head sits in a small pocket carved in the bottom board. The metal strap is about 0.1" by 1.5" aluminium from Lowes, the motor is a 3V DC motor from Radio Shack (now available on Amazon), there is a 2 D-Cell battery pack on the bottom, back side, below the wood bracket that is clamped to the table with a woodworking clamp. On the motor is a 75 gr .25 caliber lead bullet that has been screwed onto a small collar that mounts to the motor axle with set screw. The motor is held in place with a wood block and hose clamp.

Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Can't wait to see Kidwell's set up :lol:
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Wow! Well I guess that's another thing I've been doing wrong and didn't know it. My drop tube was way too simple to make and is way too easy use. :roll:
Sometimes I wonder how I ever hit the target all when I see all the complicated efforts other shooters go through to assemble their ammo.

Still, I don't see a need to change anything I'm doing. Simple seems to work ok for me.

DT
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

You guys, or as we say in the South, Y'all are way behind.
DSC01848.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Distant Thunder wrote:Wow! Well I guess that's another thing I've been doing wrong and didn't know it. My drop tube was way too simple to make and is way too easy use. :roll:
Sometimes I wonder how I ever hit the target all when I see all the complicated efforts other shooters go through to assemble their ammo.
Still, I don't see a need to change anything I'm doing. Simple seems to work ok for me.
DT
Jim,
I agree. It's like watching a shooter make Master class consistently in a very short time and all of a sudden they are changing barrels, loading, etc....
I guess it is in our blood to explore the unknown. I often wonder how the ODG's managed without AAA batteries. But what do I know? :lol: :lol: :wink: ..........
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Jim,

I've done plenty of experimenting over the years, probably too much, and in the end all I did was reinvent what the ODG did many years ago. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun journey, but I'm pretty happy where I am today. These days I'm more interested in applying what I think I've learned to other rifles to see if there really is anything to it. I suppose that arena will allow for plenty of experimenting, enough to keep one old man busy anyway.

DT
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder