PP Case Sizing

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltsmoke

PP Case Sizing

Post by Coltsmoke »

I found something that might be useful for PP in a 45-70. Haven't shot any PP bullets yet just playing around with wrapping them and seeing what powder charge to start with and leave .125 in the case mouth to set the bullet in. Winchester brass will start out at 80grs. with zero compression and Starline brass will start out at 77grs. This is with a .030 poly wad on top of the powder. After neck sizing the brass down for a closer fit with the bullet, it is still just falling out of the brass and could be a problem on the shooting line trying to get this round in the chamber. I guess you just get comfortable with this after doing it awhile and learn what to do.

I have a Redding 45-70 Govt. NK 7N die, it is a neck sizing die that will size the neck of a 45-70 case and make it a bottle neck case. It will actually put a step down in the case neck, and produce a bottle neck case. I have no idea what it is for, I just bought it out of curiousity. I did find that I could use a regular neck sizing die on the case and then adjust this Redding die to finish closing the mouth for a perfect fit to the paper patch bullet. It's not using enough of the Redding die to put the step down in the case, just enough of it to close the mouth for an exact fit to my PP bullet. Now the bullet is not just wobbling around and falling out, not a tight fit either, just enough to make it stable. Adds a couple steps to the loading process, but it might be worth it, load testing will begin soon. Just wondering if anyone else uses the BN Redding die for anything.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
ian45662

Re: PP Case Sizing

Post by ian45662 »

I have tried a couple different things to hold my paper patch ammo. I am shooting a chamber that will accept groove diameter bullets so this is something I have played around with a good bit when I first started this doing this. I tried pistol dies I tried the die you have I have tried the FL die and I have also tried the neck sizing die that is sold by mecham. It takes bushings of all different sizes. For me I have found that to be by far the best thing for this. I can adjust the tension by the .001. With my starline brass that has been annealed I have found that the .474 is the best for this. I like my bulleye to just slide into the case. For me I like the neck tension to be to where it just barley holds the bullet. I like to be able to pick the round up by the bullet without the case coming of although sometimes it will but that’s no big deal. 473 is a little tighter of course and the loaded rounds are much less fragile but they don’t shoot as well. They shoot good but just not as good
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

or use a correctly sized gual diameter bullet and just slide it into a fired case.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Either a dual diameter bullet with the base around .448, or you might try some different size dies, I have a lyman that sizes the cases down so the neck is a nice tight fit for bullets patched to .451. You can also resize and then get a tapered expander die from BACO, there .451-.453 die works great for the 45-90. and could be adjusted down far enough to work alright with the 45-70.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?