Paper or plastic?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: Paper or plastic?

Post by BFD »

Chris, isn't it odd that the feet are down as I view it and they are up for Wade? It seems like we would all be looking through the same software. Oh well
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Brent it's probably either a different browser, or version number, or even browser plugins. The software world is kind of crazy. There are so many versions of software, many of which use what are called "dynamically linked libraries" which are usually shared between multiple pieces of software so are updated independently of the software that uses it. Also a lot of software these days is compiled "Just In Time" as it's being used on your computer. Even the compiler can vary from machine to machine depending on the update level.

I think consumer software these days is more "wild west" than the wild west was. It's a wonder that any of it woks at all :lol:

Chris.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Does anyone else recall a similar discussion on Shiloh about loading with plastic wads and the Shooter(s) experienced excessive case stretching and case separation?
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
BFD

Post by BFD »

Ray Newman wrote:Does anyone else recall a similar discussion on Shiloh about loading with plastic wads and the Shooter(s) experienced excessive case stretching and case separation?
I do recall those discussions, but have not experienced anything like that. Lots of folks shoot plastic wads without stretching.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

If memory serves me, and some times it does not, the stretching and separations involved multiple LDPE wad stacks.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Brent: I also thought if it was a result of poor case cleaning, damp/wet chamber, etc. For some reason, this thread made me think about it.

Now another question: in your or other's experience, do plastic wads leave any plastic residue the bore or chamber?

I hear trap/skeet shooters complain that plastic shot cups do leave a plastic residue. I do not know if this is/was a range rumor or actually occurs, or depends upon the plastic??
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
BFD

Post by BFD »

Ray Newman wrote:Brent: I also thought if it was a result of poor case cleaning, damp/wet chamber, etc. For some reason, this thread made me think about it.

Now another question: in your or other's experience, do plastic wads leave any plastic residue the bore or chamber?

I hear trap/skeet shooters complain that plastic shot cups do leave a plastic residue. I do not know if this is/was a range rumor or actually occurs, or depends upon the plastic??
Not any plastic that I can detect. however, I have had some fierce carbon fouling of late. So bad as you would not believe. But it built up slowly, I just don't know how slowly and at what point it started. It could have started when I started using plastic wads a couple of years ago. I don't know why plastic wads would cause severe carbon fouling, but I don't have any good explanation for it.

I have had severe plastic fouling in my shotguns using blackpowder and I wonder why it occurs there and not with plastic wads (unless it does, but just very slowly and discretely).

I'm pretty convinced however, that plastic wads do make for more accurate loads and especially with very hard bullets. The harder the bore-diameter bullet, the better the wad has to be.

I have some cork-rubber wads to try soon. That will be interesting.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Ray I have had some stretching in a .45-2.4" paper patch rifle when using two 0.060" LDPE wads and Goex OE 1.5 powder.

When I use one 0.060" LDPE wad and Swiss 1.5 the problem seemed to go away.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Brent I find better accuracy too with LDPE than veg fiber wads, although my chamber is a little different than yours.

I once had an extremely nasty case of carbon fouling in my .45-2.4" rifle when I shot it in Phoenix. I believe that my wiping routine was just not up to snuff. I detected something was wrong when the final shots in the string hit the top of the berm :-(. It took a long time to remove the carbon using JB bore paste and Kroil. I'm not sure that's the best cleaner for the job though.

While shooting it appeared that the bore was being adequately cleaned as the dry patches came out perfectly white.

Chris.
BFD

Post by BFD »

gunlaker wrote:Brent I find better accuracy too with LDPE than veg fiber wads, although my chamber is a little different than yours.

I once had an extremely nasty case of carbon fouling in my .45-2.4" rifle when I shot it in Phoenix. I believe that my wiping routine was just not up to snuff. I detected something was wrong when the final shots in the string hit the top of the berm :-(. It took a long time to remove the carbon using JB bore paste and Kroil. I'm not sure that's the best cleaner for the job though.

While shooting it appeared that the bore was being adequately cleaned as the dry patches came out perfectly white.

Chris.
Sounds like my situation. But why now and not 10 yrs ago?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

That is difficult. I wonder what could be different. Is it possible that there is some erosion caused roughness in the throat area that makes it easier for carbon deposits to stick to the metal?

If you used water and oil like my I would guess that maybe the oil has changed, but since you use just water that is one less variable :D

Chris.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I don't know what folks are using for the veggy wad material but I have had good success with .060 gasket material for diesel engines. Tried Poly wads all cut with the same Cornell design copy unit but could see no advantage in my guns.
I think the best thing I have found for the guns in a long time is the Gunzilla bore clearer. It cleans lead out like crazy and is supposed to be good on carbon as well. It can be left in the bore for as long as one wants with out damage to the barrel steel.
I have noticed less leading and much quicker clean up in all the guns it is used in, hand gun or rifle.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I think LDPE is petroleum based , is it not, and could be the source of carbon fouling if so.
Didn't Arnie have a rifle quit on him a couple of years ago that had carbon fouling issues? Wonder what wads he was using?
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Was looking at the targets with my iPhone when I made my previous comments. Now I'm on my MacBook pro and the buffalo feet now point down! Funny how that can be. I stand by me previous comments but now I choose the right side target! :D

W
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

One thing is a fact: a bore-dia. bullet is much more demanding as to wads used than a groove-dia. bullet. Up to now, I haven't yet even tried plastic wads yet, always used card... Maybe I should give it a try, but not for next week's match though - no testing possibilities before, unfortunately.