Evaluation of Locking Handles for Casting Moulds

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Evaluation of Locking Handles for Casting Moulds

Post by TexasMac »

The subject article was published in the August edition of The Single Shot Exchange Magazine. For those of you that don’t subscribe to the magazine click on the link below.
http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_ ... oulds.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
mdeland

Re: Evaluation of Locking Handles for Casting Moulds

Post by mdeland »

After weighing some match jacketed bullets that vary three whole grains in a total of 180 I don't think anyone can realize any accuracy advantage in the slightly reduced SD in cast bullets weighing up to three times that amount.
I suppose there is the mental advantage!
The handles may be lighter but the filled mold weight will be the same and it will be extended farther from your grip which makes leverage work against you.
Same deal on the single handle which decreases radial leverage from a two handled set up.
I tried a set of Cabin Tree and didn't care for them at all. I think it a solution in search of a problem.
The accuracy advantage becomes readily apparent when testing culls against ones best bullets!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Mike,
See my comments below.
Wayne
mdeland wrote:After weighing some match jacketed bullets that vary three whole grains in a total of 180 I don't think anyone can realize any accuracy advantage in the slightly reduced SD in cast bullets weighing up to three times that amount.

I agree with you. As noted in the opening paragraph I said, "It has been my opinion that if a high-quality mould is used with good handles and with a refined casting technique, locking handles are not an advantage." After evaluating the handles I still stand by that comment.
mdeland wrote:I suppose there is the mental advantage!
mdeland wrote:The handles may be lighter but the filled mold weight will be the same and it will be extended farther from your grip which makes leverage work against you.
Your comment is valid for the R & J handles but not for the STM aluminum handles, which are the same length as SAECO handles and lighter weight.
mdeland wrote:Same deal on the single handle which decreases radial leverage from a two handled set up.
Again your comment is valid for the R & J handles but not for the STM handles. The STM control handle is close enough to the main wooden handle that I easily hold both when casting, eliminating the radial leverage.
mdeland wrote:I tried a set of Cabin Tree and didn't care for them at all. I think it a solution in search of a problem.
I tend to agree with you although the STM handles will reduce hand/wrist fatigue to some extent.
mdeland wrote:The accuracy advantage becomes readily apparent when testing culls against ones best bullets!
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Wayne,
As I said on ASSRA, those STM handles would be great if the opening lever also would have
a (smaller dia.to save wt?) wood handle.
beltfed/arnie
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Wayne

I have a pair of the RJ handles. Agreed they are not light weight BUT I really like them. The weight is not really much of an issue at least for me the way I cast.

I’ve got an RCBS bottom pour pot with a support bar under the spout. So no weight there. Then I pull it down and rest it on the edge of the bench till spruce cools. I don’t remember any instruction either but if you can figure out how vice grips work you can figure these out in about 15 seconds.

So far I’ve used LBT, Lyman, and RCBS molds along with a few other oddballs. So far with a bit of light modification to the jaws I’ve been able to make all the molds work well.

Overall I really like the consistency they provide. Glad I bought them and would do so again. Having said that I would like give the aluminum STMs a try, might like them even better!

Bottom line though is that I really like using locking handles. Wouldn’t cast without them now.

My .02!

Cheers!
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I have cast several thousand .45 heavy bullets with the aluminum handles from STM. I wouldn't consider anything else now. They feel like a feather compared to even nutcrackers from RCBS.

Hit the wood handle with a belt sander to make a flat side. Makes holding more comfortable.
arnie

Post by arnie »

http://s227.photobucket.com/user/caarni ... .html?o=47

I made my own locking handles because of arthritus in hands .Hurts to hold them tight over a 100 bullet casting session .[url][http://s227.photobucket.com/user/caarni ... l?o=47/url]
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Gussy wrote:Hit the wood handle with a belt sander to make a flat side. Makes holding more comfortable.
Gussy,

That's an excellent idea. I'll give it a try.

Wayne