Accurate light loads

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Accurate light loads

Post by ChrisF »

Does anyone have a light load worked up for a Shiloh 45-90 30" barrel using a 535gr money bullet. Load is for Silhouette. Thanks
ChrisF

Re: Accurate light loads

Post by ChrisF »

These are grease groove bullets
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

had a 45 90 once. tried light loads....55, 60 65 grains etc, with over powder wads.
nothing worked. it all went BANG of course, but accuracy was nil....

then someone told me that doing that raised the pressure. ok...stopped that!

then I used Cream of Wheat fillers.....it still sent BANG, but still not accurate, and a had a load of cereal in front of me at the range.

load 84 grains of 1 F, or 1 1/2,,,,,one wad. weigh bullets, factory crimp slightly, and buy a good recoil bad for your shoulder.
Pick up a .22 for those light load shooting days..

:roll: Ken
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

I have had excellent results using amaranth seed as a filler. (health food store) It is hard, ca 1mm spherical grains. Works great thru a powder measure, doesn't clump or compact.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Are 79 grains too light to start
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Not sure what your bullet weight is, but decreasing the mass of the bullet will reduce the recoil. For instance, if you are shooting 540 grain bullets just going to a 500 grain bullet will make for a substantial reduction in recoil and should still work for toppling the rams. Another option is using a chicken (lighter bullet and powder) load just for chickens and pigs. Either approach would give you some recoil relief. - Mike
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Chris 79 grains is definitely not too low to start. I shoot the BACO 458535M bullet with 78gr of Swiss 1.5 in my Shiloh and it is very accurate. It's not a silhouette rifle but in testing on the ram line this summer I put about 35 shots onto the ram swinger and missed maybe 4 or 5 shots. In testing at the 300 yard line that load has scored a perfect target in practice.

Chris.
JRV

Post by JRV »

Chris,
Try 1 Fg.
JRV