Brass Life

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

T.Parker

Brass Life

Post by T.Parker »

Hello everyone, Ide like to ask how many times you typically reload a brass case before you discard it. Using black powder of course.

I ask because im looking at buying a reproduction spencer in 56/50 or 45LC. In Australia the brass for 56/50 sells for $130 AUD per bag of 50 so it wont be a viable option of i can only reload these cases a small number of times.

Thanks
martinibelgian

Re: Brass Life

Post by martinibelgian »

The short answer is, depends...

But the rifle being a Spencer, you'll need to at least necksize the brass, maybe FL size ( Spencer owners will undoubtedly chime in), which for optimum case life will require regular annealing. Without annealing, case life will be limited (a guesstimate, 10 loads?). With annealing, a whole lot longer - a multiple.
Single shots are much better as to case life with BP - no need to size, expand - just use fireformed cases. There, case life depends mostly on the primerr pocket wearing out...
BFD

Post by BFD »

What is special about a Spencer that it needs resizing that a singleshot doesn't? I have never handled a Spencer, so I don't know anything about them.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I don't know how long you can make .45 Colt brass last but I get more than 10 loads per case with full length sizing and no annealing. This is with Winchester brass which is most of what I have. I've lost a small number of cases due to splits but I think a fat chamber is part of the cause. The only time I've got rid of a batch is when the rims got a little bent and they were annoying to get in and out of the shell holder.

Chris.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

I think the question is whether to go for the 56/50 or the 45LC....
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Brent,

A repeater with tube mag will at least need to have enough neck tension to hold the bullet securely, never mind enough 'slop' to cycle and chamber - hence sizing.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have 45 colt brass that has had the hell shot out of it for over 40 years and it's still going strong. At the pressures the 45 operates at brass life is indefinite barring any incidents at the reloading bench.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Redding makes a special full length sizing die for the 45 Colt that sizes the lower half of the case body less yet the upper half to the mouth gets enough for proper case tension. The expander dies is important also. Loading 2F Goex with a wad on top of the powder there should be enough compression to keep the bullet from receding into the case so a taper crimp is all you should need and I have gotten a lot better case life using a taper crimper on revolver brass.
(I don't load black powder in semi-autos nor do I paper patch the bullets. :D )

The secret to case life beyond the dies I have found is cleaning the cases without the spent primer in the pocket. Otherwise pretty much like you would BPCR brass. About 50 thous compression maybe a little more is OK, you want a clean burn and you will be surprised at the wallop it puts on steel. BTW, 44-40 works much better in pump and lever guns than does the 45 Colt in case you were wondering.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP-It depends on who made the brass.
Crimping work hardens the brass, and that's when you get case mouth cracks.
Try annealing the case mouth, and your brass should last a long time.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

depends on how well you care for your brass. letting them sit uncleaned from a BP shooting session, over annealing, too acidic solution while cleaning, heavy roll crimp, not annealing. I had 100 cases and messed up a few learning how to load but got well over 3k shots out of those and they are still going with the occasional one breaking in two. A few hundo should last you quite a while. I bought 500 more cause they are not going to get any cheaper that's for sure.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks for that info Zack. My RCBS dies do seem to size way more than necessary. Especially if I'm using a 0.454" bullet.

Chris.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I have an original 56 50 Spencer fitted with the center fire breach block. gun works perfectly.
and...is very accurate at 50 yards. With the Spencer, don't baby it, push and pull and the shells will eject and load.
tilt it to the right to push the shells out of the way.

the spencer 50 is a short 50 70 case. they are available. so are dies.

go and sign up to the Spencer shooters site, and there is a load of info about loads etc.

nice gun....and If I 'was there', the Spencer is what I would want. 50 grains of 2f and a 350 grain bullet will knock down a horse .
The 44 Henry with 28 grains will just make it Mad. and forget about Dances with wolves....he would have had to put that Henry in the buffalo's ear, WAY in the ear. :P

Ken