Bench Source Annealer - Upgrade

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Bench Source Annealer - Upgrade

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

I recently did a cheap upgrade to my Bench Source annealer. I LOVE the annealer, but there was one feature I thought could be improved. I'm quite sure I'm not the only guy to think of this but I have never heard or seen anyone share this idea so just passing it along as it makes the annealer much more flexible and easier to use.

The annealer comes with the ability to mount two separate heat sources (propane torches), this works very well but I like to use only one torch. It takes just a wee bit longer to heat the brass but I feel it allows you to have more time to "fine tune" the annealing time. With two torches going it could be a wam-bam-thank you-mam situation where it's heated up so fast you do not get a good look at the color of the brass. With one torch and a darker room it is very easy to dial in the annealing color your looking for.

Having said that the one item I never liked was having to mount the torch by the head to direct the flame on the cartridge. When clamped in all the weight of the propane tank is hanging off of the torch head. You really have to tighten it down to keep the weight of the tank from moving the direction of the flame. Another problem is that depending on the height of the case being annealed the tank could get in the way when trying to get the flame pointed where you want. Meaning the tank would hit the edge of the annealer.

To correct this I went on line and purchased a "plumber's torch kit", this includes a propane torch head, a long hose and the valve to attach the propane bottle to the hose. Plumbers can hang the bottle on their belt and then only have the torch in their hand. Much lighter and they can get into much smaller spaces.

By using this set up the only thing I am holding up is the torch head.

1. MUCH lighter, much less clamping force needed to hold it in position.

2. Much more flexibility in pointing the flame, easier to adjust, no more interference. Much easier to use on short cases, think 22 Hornet.

3. I anneal out in my unheated shop, many times doing it out there in the winter. If you have ever used propane bottles in the winter you know they can be a PIAT to get consistent pressure (temperature of flame). By having the hose you can get a bucket of warm/hot water, set the bottle in there and now you will have a consistent flame throughout the annealing session.

Here are a couple pics of the setup. Cost about $25-30 off of ebay. Wish I had done it from the beginning. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

Wade

Clarence

Re: Bench Source Annealer - Upgrade

Post by Clarence »

I do the same with my home-grown annealer, but I use a 20 lb. bottle. Even in the winter, the flame is much more consistent than with the small bottle.

Clarence
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

Wade

My Benchrest Annealer is set up with the two torches, but as you have pointed out there is no need for both except for faster time. I like the idea, for the reasons you stated, of using a single touch with a “Plumber's Torch Kit.”

I used 650 degree Tempilaq to determine an anneal time of 2.8 - 3.0 seconds for 40-70ss cases. The time will obviously be more with a single touch, but my guess is not by much. What is your anneal time?

Thanks again for modification idea.

Good Shooting,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Clarence wrote:I do the same with my home-grown annealer, but I use a 20 lb. bottle. Even in the winter, the flame is much more consistent than with the small bottle.

Clarence
X2 on this :!:
To say nut'n about the rip-off costs of those throw away bottles. :roll:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Another 'single-torch' user here. Found a 6-pack of the short/fat bottles at HD a few years ago for $18 and only now down to the last two. Much less wasted fuel/heat with the single torch, as well, is my guess.
Glenn
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

Purchased a Bernzomatic WH0159 Universal Torch Extension Hose (59 inch) at Home Depot this afternoon for $15.97 (+tax).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic ... 539579-_-N

Good Shooting,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member