JB bore paste diagnoses

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

77 sharps

Re: JB bore paste diagnoses

Post by 77 sharps »

I believe that Brent's wiping fluid of choice has always been straight di hydrogen oxide. Personally I find a little oil helps ease the passage of the rubber squeegee and prevents rusting of my high wall action parts as well as making cleanup a little easier.

I'm pretty sure the only way to remove an oily substance from the pores in a barrel would be to soak it in very hot water with a good detergent.
Red Cent

Post by Red Cent »

FWIW from a novice.
A few weeks ago I ran the last patch through the Hi Wall with some lubricant on the patch. The lube was TW25. Accuracy went to hell. Flabbergasted. Pouted all the way to the shop to clean the rifle. The first patch soaked in 100% turpentine came out totally black. Totally. And the next patch. And the next patch. Soon the parches were gray. The I got the coated stainless steel cleaning rod and a 2 X 4. I think somebody described it "squeals like a pig". But I didn't get it all out.

I am told that TW25 is a silicate.

Somewhere in these posts, the OP mentioned black strings. Yep. Been there done that. It took three trips to the range and a lot of arsenal patches soaked with turpentine to get the barrel clean and the patches to come out without little curly, black hairs. And no, I haven't done it.

The accuracy is returning. I can do an inch at 100 yards and, I hope, I can beat that the next trip.

I hope you guys can get this thing figured out.
MAH

Post by MAH »

Brent, sorry to see that you are having problems with your three rifles. It is a dirt drive for sure. Hoping for the best in finding the problem. But it has to be equally as bad as reading all the solutions. There is only one other topic that I know of that has been discussed more! That is the effects of the little blue pill. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MAH
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Brent

Have you had a close look inside the barrels ?

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
BFD

Post by BFD »

Dave, I have bore scoped all of them. They look just fine.

As for NAPA ATF being locked in the pores of the metal, I suppose it is possible. I have been using ATF for all of my competitive career I think. I wipe it out before commencing to shoot for the day, and with wiping after every shot, I find it hard to believe it is having much effect after 60+ rounds when, indeed, the accuracy is worse if anything, not better after having blown out all or at least much of the alleged interstitial ATF.

Brent
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Brent-Which ATF are you using?
For many years now, I have used a 50/50 mix of turpentine and Dexron III/Mercon ATF, it's an outstanding bore cleaner.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAR353

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
BFD

Post by BFD »

F
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

BFD wrote:F
Straight or diluted?
G.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Straight
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

BFD wrote:Straight
Kinda 'thick' IMHO.
Cut it 50% with turpentine or lacquer thinner and give it a go.
G.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I've been using it for decades and like it a "little thick". I used it for lubrication and for preservation, not for solvent or cleaning. I don't want it too thin that it sheets off the gun in the safe. Turpentine or any commercial bore solvent works well for that, as does water for blackpowder, generally.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Type 'F' and Dex/Mec ATF is more solvent than lube. Great in heated sonic cleaners.
Not much as a preservative.
Military did a bunch of test'n with ATF on small arms, a few yrs back.
FWIW: IMHO, I really feel you gun issues are alloy caused. A fresh source of alloy, will answer this for sure.
G.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Have you mic'ed the current paper thickness?
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Kurt had photos of "stretched" bullets that made no sense to me, exploration of that situation and its cause just might add some insight

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
BFD

Post by BFD »

The paper thicknesses have been checked and rechecked and experimented with, to no affect.

Dave, does one even go about exploring that? And chasing that might be a completely unhelpful in the very likely event that is not happening in my rifle and there is no way I can verify that it is happening at this point.

I'll try a different source of alloy next. But next is looking about like Mother's Day or maybe a little earlier.