Paper Patching Good!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: Paper Patching Good!

Post by ian45662 »

Awesome group for sure
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

That's a lovely group and should encourage someone wondering about the accuracy of pp'd bullets. To further reinforce that, here is a target I shot last week at 200 m (219 yards) using bullets cast from my BACo 443530E mold. My alloy is bhn 12. I was aiming at a 16:1 lead/tin alloy but through in some unknown harder alloy which I now regret...it had something in it that made the bullets frosty looking. Anyway, they dropped from the mold at .443", wrapped wet with paper measuring .0015" giving a final dried patched bullet diameter of .4985". Obviously they chamber easily. I loaded the bullets over 80 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg and a .053" card over-powder wad.
100_8280.JPG
I have some .002" paper from a long ago purchase from C Sharps Arms...that might give me a better combo with that .443" bullet....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Taylor Sapergia

In the way of explanation, I often print a facimile of the target to make measuring group size a little easier. that's what the likeness is above the bull. Also, you can just see the centre of the target on the edge of the upper left of the group. I shot at an 8" black dot on 65 pound card stock and reduced the target so it would fit on the page opposite my loading data. My sights are from MVA: 2" Hadley disc rear aperture long range Soule using the second smallest aperture, and the front is a spirit level globe and again, I used the smallest aperture that accompanied the sight from MVA.

About sighting: when I was setting up to shoot the target, I peeked through the tang sight at the bull, and it disappeared. Watzup wit dat? I tried a number of front apertures to better see the bull, but to no use. Then I reduced the iris on the Hadley disc, and the smaller I made it, the clearer became the bull. I stopped at the second smallest aperture when it was nice and sharp, and proceeded to shoot this target. The group includes the first round downrange, and I cleaned with one wet, one dry patch throughout the event. And the uppermost hole is my last shot!
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

That is a great group also, I think you meant to say it patched up to .4485 is that right?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Coltsmoke: yes yes, that is what I meant to say...4485"!! I have a fifty Sharps as well that I have been trying to get to shoot with a 500 gr. BACo bullet, and these patch up to around .500" (.4985")

For the new rifle (45-70) I've patched 22 rounds with .002" paper from C. Sharps Arms, purchased back in the late 70's I think, and it brings the patched bullet up to .4495" from the cast .443" slick. I patched them wet, and was surprised at the shrinkage. We'll see if the rifle likes them better than the .0015" paper.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I've had some very nice results at 300 with that BACO 443530E bullet and 0.002" Eesleck paper patched dry and run through a 0.451" sizer die, but in a bull barreled Shiloh chambered with Dan T's .45-2.6" PP reamer.

At some time I might order a larger diameter version of that bullet to work with the thinner paper.

Chris.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

‘Smoke, nice shooting! Are you shooting from a bench or prone? Are you resting the barrel or the forend on the rest. I have been resting the forend on the cross sticks and on bench rest with good results for me.
Thanks, Richard
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

That is shooting from a bench and resting the barrel on the null spot.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Thanks ‘smoke!
BTW, when is the next BP shoot at Riverbend ? I’m in east TN and may drive down.
Regards, Richard
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Come on down we would be glad to have you join us, sillywet shoot will be Sat. Oct.20th. We get there around 8:00am and start shooting around 9:00. We will be there on the Friday before the match around 11:00 to test loads, get sight settings and just aggravate and agitate each other. Let us know if you decide to come.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

‘Smoke, sounds like good fun but got a Silouette shoot in Roanoke on the 21st. Maybe the next one.
I like the idea about shooting the day before...hope to meet you soon.
Regards, Richard
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I can tell you first hand that the grop that shoots down in Georgia is a great group of fellas. I went down from Ohio and they were awesome to shoot with. Southern hospitality at its finest. Doug Gazaway runs the matches and is a very smart and well spoken man. He is happy to share what he knows and when he talks people listen.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Thanks Ian, looking forward to meeting the guys down there, but will try to make it to a match down there soon.
Regards, Richard
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Coltsmoke,

Wet patched and a coffe warmer, and Seth Cole paper. :D :D

Well Done :!:

Very well done.

The same formula worked well for me at Raton mid-range any position.

Kenny Wasserburger

PS I was using a Paul Jones .445 Money cut for a 25# Shiloh in 1-14, 102 grs of Olde Eynsford and my 3 wad stack.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Kenny we learn from experienced shooters like you and several others posting what works and it really makes it easy for shooters to be successful. I appreciate all the knowledge that you and other paper patch shooters are willing to share with the rest of us. Thanks again.