Paper Patching Good!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Sarge

Re: Paper Patching Good!

Post by Sarge »

OUTSTANDING!
Wet or Dry wrapped?
longshot10x

Post by longshot10x »

What are you going to do at 95? Start chasing wild women and drink Bad Whiskey and just flitter the the last 5 years away!! :roll:
Well boys lets go do something even if it is wrong!
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

That was wet patching and drying on a candle warmer, I have wet patched and just let them dry overnight, either one works well. My dad will be 93 on Sunday and still getting around and driving anywhere he wants to go, I'm expecting a call to get him out of jail for speeding, he is not the old man dragging around.

At 95, I think I will stop by the nursing home on the way to the match and pick up a couple of hot gals and a case of beer. I'll just sit on the sidelines of the match and distract and heckle all the shooters. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

At 95, I think I will stop by the nursing home on the way to the match and pick up a couple of hot gals and a case of beer. I'll just sit on the sidelines of the match and distract and heckle all the shooters
Too bad Smoke, I heard you used to be a pretty upright man.....beginning to look like you are hanging out with a bad crowd? Better ease up as you approach 95 Bro.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Cummon tell me.
Do I have to buy a scope to do that? :shock:
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Well Double D, I do have to shoot and hang out with some shady characters and they have influenced me some from time to time. Maybe by the time I'm in my 90's I will be shooting with a better behaved crowd and have changed my mind on how to pass the time away after my shooting days are over. :wink: :lol:

I don't think you need a scope to do that, I know several people that could take my rifle and load and do it with irons. Just depends on your eye sight.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

You do not have to use a scope to do that. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Practice, technique, consistency, persistence, and as Elmer once said, "You ain't gonna hit nothin' if you don't pull the trigger."

Probably being a seasoned citizen helps...
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Woody

Post by Woody »

I've only seen a 100 10X shot three times in match conditions. At Raton when Butch did it with irons. At Riverbend, when Fred did it with a scope. I was spotting for him, (Fred). The last time I saw it done, was also at Riverbend. Coltsmoke did it. The best, in a match, that I have done, is 9X. I think that group would do it. Good shooting Smoke.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Coltsmoke wrote:I have now crossed over to the other side. Here is my 200 yd. 10 shot Paper Patch group.I never did hit that dime.DSC01851.JPG
Nicely done.
This is the teamwork of spotter and shooter. 8)
Try toilet paper, or paper towels. :lol: :P
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Great group! How deep is your bullet seated in the case? Are you sizing and expanding the brass so that you can get some neck tension on the bullet?
This is like a good fishing hole, many questions. Still depends mostly on the shoulder of the holder and you are holding well.
I predict an upsurge in paper patching. It is so much cooler, like a Ballard compared to a Roller (no offense). AND, like BFD says, it's not that hard. The only thing that was difficult to me was investing in a mould. All the good advice , here on the forum, made it easy. I'm working on the dual diameter bullet that Beltfed turned me on to. First time out at 300m this past Sunday showed some outstanding results in poor conditions . I'm looking forward to trying it out at 500m when the wind lays.

Keep on patching!
HG
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I used a Lyman neck sizing die but it is still just a slip fit load. The bullet is in the case about .115.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Coltsmoke wrote:Thanks for all the compliments guys, I used a Lyman neck sizing die but it is still just a slip fit load. The bullet is in the case about .115.
If you feel you need a tighter neck crimp on the bullet, try removing the stem from your FL sizing die and using that.

On the other hand, if it ain't broke....
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Tell us of your sights...scope or tang, etc.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I'm using the MVA 10X scope, placing a quart paint can on a white piece of cardboard and spraying around it with black spary paint. Using that circle for an aiming point at 200yd.