Reloading My 45-70 with Old Ensford powder.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CaptnJack

Reloading My 45-70 with Old Ensford powder.

Post by CaptnJack »

Hi all. I have a few questions. I hope others can help me with.
Here is what I am doing.
C Sharps 34" barrel 45-70
Using the BACO 540 gr .443 PP money bullet.
Winchester LR primers
Starting with 81 gr. of Old Ensford f1.5 I am using OldEnsford 1.5 because that is what I have. I see most people seem to be using swiss. f1 or f1.5
2 ea. .030 LDPE wad because I don't have the.060 ones.
Remington fireformed cases.
#9 onion skin paper.

When using 81 gr of powder dropping it down a 32" drop tube I can't get the case to accept the full charge of powder without spilling out, so I almost fill the case compress it then fill the rest of the powder. install the wad and compress again to what I need. (A question on compression also.) Am I doing something wrong?
Is anyone using Old Ensford in their 45-70 PP?
Just wondering what compression are you using and what is your finished bullet & case OAL is? I read where Goex needs more compression then swiss?
I have been seeing loads with using Swiss but nothing really on using Goex Old Ensford and it seems with Goex its anywhere from .100 to .200 compression????
I am trying to get some accurate loads with what I have on hand.
Thanks
Lumpy Grits

Re: Reloading My 45-70 with Old Ensford powder.

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I run 2F 'E', in both my .45-70 & .45-90, and compress about .350.
I only shoot GG bullets, and use a .060 fiber wad.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
firefighter1990

Post by firefighter1990 »

I'm using star-line brass so it's a little thicker and thus doesn't hold as much as Winchester or Remington. But you're using the exact same components as I am.

Star-line brass annealed.
Remington 2-1/2 large pistol primers
BACO .443" 540gr money bullet
BACO #9 onion skin paper (dry wrapped)
.060" ldpe wad
80gr of OE 1.5f
I only compress enough so that the was sits at no more than 1/8" from the case mouth. So about .100"-.125" and that's the only room for the bullet I allow.

My trick to filling the case is to make a collar out of paper that slips over the case mouth and extends upwards. This lets me drop-tube right up to the case mouth without losing a single granule of powder. Carefully remove the collar and compress with the wad and you're set. I use this trick for all my cartridges that I patch for.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

FF1990, try an 'O' ring at the bottom of the drop tube, works as a seal of sorts.
G.
firefighter1990

Post by firefighter1990 »

The o-ring at the mouth of the drop tube? And the case mouth around the outside of that? That's a good idea. I'll try that for my greaser loads. My ppb's loads fill up my cases to the very brim so I still need that collar for those.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Lots of solutions to the drop tube problem. In my case a bottleneck cartridge case used as an inverted funnel and epoxied or soldered to the drop tube. It wont migrate up the tube like an o-ring might.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

I use a rubber washer used in plumbing that has a angle on one end and flat on the other. It works great and no powder escapes. Works for the 40-65 and 45-70.

Dan
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

BFD wrote:Lots of solutions to the drop tube problem. In my case a bottleneck cartridge case used as an inverted funnel and epoxied or soldered to the drop tube. It wont migrate up the tube like an o-ring might.
Never an issue as the 'O' ring is just above the bottom end/edge of the tube, and stops the powder from bouncing out of the case.
I use the BN rifle case trick at the top of the tube.
G.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

firefighter1990 wrote:The o-ring at the mouth of the drop tube? And the case mouth around the outside of that? That's a good idea. I'll try that for my greaser loads. My ppb's loads fill up my cases to the very brim so I still need that collar for those.
Have the 'O' ring sit'n flat on the case mouth. :wink:
G,
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

How much powder does your case hold on the first drop? I would use that amount and scrape off enough to get a wad on top and compress enough to get your bullet seated with some neck tension. About .125" below the case mouth seems to work for most. I wouldn't worry about losing 3-5 grains of powder if that is what it takes to get the column down to eliminate the extra steps. 1 grain of swiss 1 1/2 equals about .030" height in a 45 case.
Not sure about OE. I also don't know what compression OE likes but I'd try .050". Velocity difference will be minimal.

HG
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

FWIW-I have found 'E' to like lots of compression, just as the old Goex did.
G.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I tried 81 of swiss and its tough to get, 80 and less worked way better. 80 should well more than enough. Compress so you can seat .080 to .100
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member