Bore wear and the paper patched bullet

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: Bore wear and the paper patched bullet

Post by gunlaker »

I've shot a fair number of PP rounds with lube cookies in my .45-2-7/" and I've almost always used 1/8" thick lube cookies. Mainly this is because this is what my lube ribbon extruder makes. I've tried doubling the thickness and it didn't seem to shoot any different. It definitely helps big time with solving gas cutting.

Chris.
Orville

Post by Orville »

when using a lube wad it takes more the a couple of wet patches or even a buffalo arms bore wipe fallowed by a dry patch to remove all the lube, aleast my jojoba oil and bees wax mixture.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
BFD

Post by BFD »

not mine. jojoba and beeswax and sheep tallow.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

A few notes on hand lapping a bore that should be mentioned to address some notions that get erroneously passed on.
1. Lapping a bore does not appreciable enlarge it. You can lap until your arms fall off and won't remove more than 1 - 3 ten thousands. That's 1/3 of one thousandth. This removal will be in the constricted areas or high spots in the bore.
2. Properly executed lapping will never harm a barrel.
3. A properly lapped barrel will remain unchanged or improve.
4. Chambered barrels can be hand lapped just as easily as un-chambered or muzzle loading barrels. Many do not know this.
5. Crowned muzzles are left unchanged through the use of down bore muzzle protectors.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Brent,
About 4mm, which would be (calculating now...) 0.16 inch or 1/6.
Gert
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

I forgot to mention, this is with a no.2 Musket and somewhere between 80 - 85grs of Fg. Shooting in an original military rifle, groove-dia. bullet - although this rifle, as most military rifles, has a pretty serious taper from chmber to throat.