Suggestion for a 40-65 mold

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Clarence

Re: Suggestion for a 40-65 mold

Post by Clarence »

I've used several 40 caliber bullets over the years. Began with a Hoch, much like the Lyman flat nose, finding it shot well but occasionally left a ram standing. Switched to the Lyman Snover, finding it shot very well but was never satisfied with the Lyman mould. Got a Gunn modified design from Fred Leeth, found it worked very well in all the 40's I tried it in. All these with Swiss 1.5, seated slightly into the lands, with ~0.060" compression.

Got the Kidwell Money bullet, and find it shoots extremely well seated firmly into the lands (wiping with that bullet) and with ~0.165" compression with Swiss 1.5 . It has become my go-to load.

Right now, working with a BA Postell (basically identical to the Snover), and find it shoots very well in the rifles I've tested to date.

Clarence
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Wade,
For a first bullet, I Agree with Wayne/TxMac on the BA JIM409400M4.
With the first three bands reduced , you can seat the bullet out for good case capacity.
Going forward, I will send you via email a Dual DiameterElliptical/Prolate design that I did for Harlan Glover
for his 14 twist 40-65 with GG chamber. He is having good luck with it.
It is a "stretch" done on my own DDEPP bullet for my 16 twist. He had Brooks cut it.
I can even send you a couple samples of the 40 cal DDEPP for 14 twist
beltfed/arnie
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

Great suggestions. Just to be clear, the reduced driving band bullets will need to be pan lubed correct? Not a problem, just want to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

Cheers!

Wade
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

I shot the 409400M4 (Steve Brooks cut it) for several years and it performed very well but sometimes I would foul out at the most inopportune times.That is when I got more serious about paper patched bullets. The first bullet was the JIM395410E and it worked well in both my 16 twist CPA and my 14 twist GM barreled Ballard but is a pain to handle the loaded round because the patched bullet at .400" fit the case so poorly. I basically breech seated the bullet in front of the case so it was slow for silhouette. Arnie and Distant Thunder were having a conversation in a previous thread about the dual diameter bullet , with the base diameter large enough to patch up to .408 and allow enough neck tension to hold the bullet and fill the free bore in the Browning chamber that I had cut on the Ballard. It works great and I have shot some really great groups in testing at 200 and 300 meters. It also shoots great in my CPA. I hope to stretch it out Saturday at our last silhouette match of the year but it looks like storms all weekend. The bullet has done so well in testing that I'm gonna sell the Brooks mold to a friend and stay with paper only. If you want, pm me with your contact info and I'll send you some to try.

HG
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

shot off hand at 200 yards. 4 sighters and ten shots for record in 25 minutes.

He was relaxed and in his groove until the last shot when he realized he was on the cusp of breaking the National Record. He put the rifle down three times before firing the last shot. Bob Englebach and Mike Milhollin were pulling the target and keeping the pit in suspense. On the last shot I saw the bullet go into the scoring rings and told Chip we would have to wait until they scored the last shot because it was so close to the scoring ring. Apparently he thought I meant the 9 Ring and was much relieved to discover that I meant the X-ring. Alas, No, it was scored a 10 instead of an X and he still had a new National Record at 97-X3.

NRA had a print out of BPTR National Records at the Match.

If I remember correctly Chip and George Harris coheld the Iron Sight National Record at 95-3X for many years

Ty Rice of Alabama is listed as shooting a National Record 96-4X Scope in 2014.

Chip was shooting a Cody Ballard in 40-65 with the same bullet and load he has used for ten years. #740 Saeco, pan lubed, 1-20 alloy and his load by VOLUME of 1.5 Swiss.

Chip wore a big grin the rest of the week and he was the only competitor to be surprised that he won the Position Aggregate Match.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks for the write-up Zack. Congrats to Chip again.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.