Lee Shaver Lube Extruder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Lee Shaver Lube Extruder

Post by Todd Birch »

I just bought a Lee Shaver Lube Extruder.

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it beats the hell out of me how it is supposed to function. It would help if it came with an instruction sheet with photos.

I've tried it in my Lyman lubrisizer with the steel die insert in place and without. All I get is a mess of SPG lube oozing out around the base of the lube extruder. I checked the the channel of the extruder before installing it and it is clear. The stem of the extruder is so small that the little '0' ring on it seal is useless.

What am I doing wrong? I'd email Shaver but his web site offers no email address.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
arnie

Re: Lee Shaver Lube Extruder

Post by arnie »

powderburner

Post by powderburner »

The best way to make lube cookies is to go to the dollar store buy a small plastic cutting board , drill holes in it just a tat smaller than you need , set it on tinfoil and fill with melted lube. . Scrape off with a putty knife , let col in the freezer for 15 min and pop out with a pencil eraser cost under 5 bucks and simple to use
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

sounds like the stem on the said ribbon maker is too long. lube needs to go thru....you could drill some hole in it same size as the size die, or lower the bottom plug, so lube can go down then up thru the ribbon die...

First I would call Lee and see if there is something not right...
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

You're starting to get the drift ....

the stem is MUCH smaller than the .458 of the die body. It mikes .425", .450" at the collar where the "0" ring is.

According to the web site, it fits any .45 calibre sizing die.

In order for pressure to be generated in order to extrude lube, there has to be a seal if I understand the principle involved.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Nine Bucks plus shipping

Regards
John
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Available from .... ?
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

SteveA

I checked it out and there were too many negative reviews. You get what you pay for.

However, I paid over $30 for the Lee Shaver extruder and I can't figure out how it's supposed to work.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have one that looks like the pastry one posted. However, mine was made from about 4 lbs of solid brass and cost accordingly. Tom Ballard (I think that was his name) made and sold these. Is he still in business?

The tool produces cookies in 4 different thicknesses between 0.06 and 0.15" It would be simple to make additional dies that for other thicknesses. Great tool if you can find one. Works best if filled with melted lube rather than lube sticks.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

The lube extruder that Buffalo Arms sells works quite well. It's an aluminum cylinder with a piston in it. You can pour in your own lube or use lube sticks. Seems less cheezy than the Shaver one.

Chris.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I checked it out and there were too many negative reviews. You get what you pay for.
Toad - too many negative reviews? Has a 4.5 star rating with 249 customer reviews. Had mine for over 5 years and still works like it just came out of the box
Regards
John
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

.450 is the outside dia of the o ring when installed on the ribbon maker?? if so do you have a 45acp, 45 colt dies?? that would solve the problem...….I think :D,you need to make a seal.....somehow. Lager dia o-ring might work.....
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Once I talk to Lee Shaver I'll get back with whatever he tells me.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

If you call Lee Saver you get a message saying that no message will be accepted. No email address supplied for inquiries either.

I will try the extruder in a .452 ACP die and see if it works. The fit will certainly be a lot closer.