Chamber.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Chamber.

Post by ian45662 »

So I have a Shiloh on the way through bill Goodman. Just sent him the deposit only a couple days ago. I already have a c sharps highwall that I have been shooting for 5 years or so in silhouette shoots. Almost 3 years ago I started shouting bore diameter paper patch bullets in the rifle and have never really looked back. Well of course the new Shiloh will have a steady diet of bore diameter bullets but it will from time to time get the groove diameter bullet here and there especially at chickens. So i was all set to just go with a standard chamber but then I find out that there is another chamber that is offered that will accept groove diameter bullets. It has a 7 degree lead, that takes the 45 degree case stop out. I am really leaning that way to be honest but I wanted to see if others have been using this chamber in their shilohs?
beltfed

Re: Chamber.

Post by beltfed »

Maybe time for a Dual diameter PP bullet.
beltfed/arnie
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Maybe but I’m not ready for that yet. I would like to shoot the same bullet as I do in my highwall if possible but I will belly up to the dual diameter if i need to.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I was a little apprehensive about the DD PP until I watched Jim Kluskins best the snot out of some silhouettes with his 40.
BFD

Post by BFD »

beltfed wrote:Maybe time for a Dual diameter PP bullet.
beltfed/arnie
It will be interesting to see if these dual diameter bullets stick around. Maybe they are just another fad like grease groove bullets and primer wads and drilled out Flash holes, or maybe they are the real thing. Time will tell
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I am having Jim build me one of his magic DDPP bullet moulds as we speak and cant wait to try it out!!! I hope it is a fad that way the ones with them keep winning :D :D :D :D
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bobw

Post by bobw »

Both my 74 Shiloh's in 45-70 have a std chamber with a 7* leade and I like them. I had Shiloh put the 7* leade in after the rifles were built that costs $160 each. If you want the 7* leade have them do it when they build it , as I believe if it's spec'ed there is no extra cost involved. I bought the one off the shelf and won the other. If I was having it built they would both have tight chambers with a .473-.474" expanded case mouth diameter. I don't use greasers in a Sharps. bobw
bobw
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I think it will be the perfect set up for what I am wanting. Just gotta sit and wait now. Let the folks up in big timber do their thing.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Any bore diameter ppb mold can be opened up at the base to make it a 2-diameter mold. The base band, groove diameter section, must be recut to the correct diameter and LENGTH for the intended chamber. That's a simple task for someone with the right equipment.

As much as Ian might not like it, or me for that matter, not all chambers are the same. You may be lucky enough to have a bullet shoot well in more than one rifle, anything can happen, but there is no problem having a bullet mold dedicated to each rifle (chamber) to achieve optimum accuracy. In fact that is one of the things which should be appreciated and utilized in this sport. We are not ever limited to one size fits all. It is a game of seemingly infinite variables. Don't avoid it, EMBRACE it!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have high hopes!