New national record 200 yd. offhand 97

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JDM

New national record 200 yd. offhand 97

Post by JDM »

Ton Calderone called me today and told me Chip Mate called him and told him he shot a new 200 Yd. offhand record of 97/100. That is only 3 nines
offhand. Chip didn't think it was a big deal because it was Chips old record he broke. Chip is a great shooter and a hell of a nice guy.
BFD

Re: New national record 200 yd. offhand 97

Post by BFD »

Heck of a score and not luck in this case either. Chip does stuff like that way too often to be just lucky.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Congrats to Chip. Brent is correct that Chip does this type of stuff with regularity. Great shooting.

One slight correction though is that Chip displaced Tyell Rice who held the record of 96 4X. If memory serves, Ty displaced Chip by X count.

Open Tyrell Rice Prattville, AL 96.4 10/24/2014

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Great shooting Chip, congratulations on your record.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Very nice. I've seen people shoot lower scores prone.

Chris.
BFD

Post by BFD »

gunlaker wrote:Very nice. I've seen people shoot lower scores prone.

Chris.
Most of us HAVE shot lower scores prone.
BFD

Post by BFD »

gunlaker wrote:Very nice. I've seen people shoot lower scores prone.

Chris.
Most of us HAVE shot lower scores prone.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yes it’s true he did it yesterday and pushed the old record pretty hard today
He won the position aggregate
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That is mighty fine shooting indeed and is no lark from what I hear of mister Mate. Congratulations!!
Our range record here in Ak for 200yard offhand is 96 and has stood for many years. Ben Grenwald owns it and was made with a 77 Sharps by Axtell.
Our own Bob Englebach once posted a 94 that I witnessed on one of his hot days. I forget now if it was with his Browning in 40-65 or his later Stevens in 45-90.
My personal best is also a 94 but only one time which would be a lark. I have shot into the low 90's probably half a dozen times when practiced up by a half hour of daily dry fire, a week before the match. Best Agg was a 276 in position.
I remember Ray Hanson posting a 280 if I remember correctly, but I think this was after he left AK.
I once remember having a good day with a 274 Agg and thinking I had the match in the bag only to find out four of us had posted a 274 and I wound up in 4th place on x count! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pat Reed was first. Leo Remenger of the buffalo rifle books fame was in 2nd. Bob Englebach was 3rd and I was tail end Charlie! :lol:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yep, I was spotting for Chip when he broke his Iron Sight record on day one of the Position Mid-Range Match October 2, 2018, Raton, NM, which is shot off hand at 200 yards. 4 sighters and ten shots for record in 25 minutes.

He was relaxed and in his groove until the last shot when he realized he was on the cusp of breaking the National Record. He put the rifle down three times before firing the last shot. Bob Englebach and Mike Milhollin were pulling the target and keeping the pit in suspense. On the last shot I saw the bullet go into the scoring rings and told Chip we would have to wait until they scored the last shot because it was so close to the scoring ring. Apparently he thought I meant the 9 Ring :shock: and was much relieved to discover that I meant the X-ring. Alas, No, it was scored a 10 instead of an X and he still had a new National Record at 97-X3.

NRA had a print out of BPTR National Records at the Match.

If I remember correctly Chip and George Harris coheld the Iron Sight National Record at 95-3X for many years

Ty Rice of Alabama is listed as shooting a National Record 96-4X Scope in 2014.

Chip was shooting a Cody Ballard in 40-65 with the same bullet and load he has used for ten years. #740 Saeco, pan lubed, 1-20 alloy and his load by VOLUME of 1.5 Swiss.

Chip wore a big grin the rest of the week and he was the only competitor to be surprised that he won the Position Aggregate Match. 8)
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
DeadEye_Ty

Post by DeadEye_Ty »

Congratulations Chip Mate!!! That is some stellar offhand shooting. New mark to aim for!

Respectfully,
Ty Rice
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Mr. Mate and his record setting target.
IMG_0016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
johnl

Post by johnl »

Nice shooting. I’m curious, why is there a white number 4 over a black number 5 and a white 5 over number....? Never seen that before.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Target 45, anD 55.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter