Paper Patching ReaLLLLLLLLLL... Good!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: Paper Patching ReaLLLLLLLLLL... Good!

Post by ian45662 »

What barrel is on that cpa? My highwall has a green mountain 16 twist on it and shoots groups similar to your but yours are tighter than what I have been able to get with a 10 shot group. The most interesting thing in my opinion is the fact your using 20:1. 14:1 seems to be the sweet spot for mine. I was down your way in the early months of the silhouette season back in February I believe . I was wanting to try my loads at a mid range match in a bad way but the weather forced the director to cancel. I would love to get down that way again for the November shoot but work won’t let that happen :cry:
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I know the feeling, I also have to deal with work issues. That is a Ron Smith stainless steel barrel. It is a left hand gain twist, finishes at 1-16 twist. It will shoot 81grs. 81.5, 82grs. doesn't matter. 16-1, 18-1, 20-1, it doesn't matter. It just keeps on stacking 'em in there. :D
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Coltsmoke,
You will be better able to see the alloy differences at the 600yd range. Then you will be able to determine which is best for your rifle....

Tom
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I thought that might come into play Tom. Not having shot this bullet at 600 yd. I would probably put my money on the 16-1, if I had to bet on it before hand.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have always wondered how a gainer would do with PP. now we know. That’s an awesome set up.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Coltsmoke, what was the reasoning to go with a left hand twist in your RKS barrel?
Thanks Richard
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I wanted the rifle to twist against my cheek and not away from it. People have different ideas of which way the rifle twist when fired. So I took my Shiloh which is a right hand twist barrel and fired it 3 times off hand with a 81 gr. load and had two people watch the rifle. One standing behind me and the other standing to my side and we all three were in agreement that the rifle did twist away from my cheek. So since I was going to order a barrel for this rifle, :idea: I thought why not try a left hand twist, :idea: might as well do a gain twist with it, :idea: well just for $hits and giggles why not do a 16 twist too. This was just a barrel for my back up rifle anyway, so it was no big deal if it really didn't shoot as good as my Shiloh. :)
BFD

Post by BFD »

CS, your reasoning sounds good to me. Your results speak for themselves.

I'm looking for what type of rifle this is - what receiver? I feel I should already know this, but, if so, I've already forgotten... And who did the barrel work? Obviously, someone knew what they were doing, and it would be nice to know who that was.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Brent, I bought a CPA .22 rifle and decided to put a 45-70 RS stainless barrel on it for back up incase for some reason I could not shoot my Shiloh. One of our local shooters did the barrel work. I really don't want to release his name, I don't think he is interested in working on rifles, I think he had rather be shooting. I'll check with him and see if he wants any rifle work. :wink:
BFD

Post by BFD »

I understand, but looks like your smith knows what he is doing. I'm not looking for a gunsmith, but just thinking a good one should get a shout now and then.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Thanks for the reply Coltsmoke. I’m mulling over getting a rifle built and have heard a lot of good chatter about R.Smith barrels. I think I would just stay with the .45-70 as I have all the makings for one, so to speak. Did you get your barrel blued or coated. I’m thinking coating may tend not to allow heat to radiate away as fast as a blued or naked barrel.
Regards, Richard
PS Are you a southpaw ?
MAH

Post by MAH »

Really have been entertained with Gerald's progression in understanding Paper Patching. But I also notice many people that do P.P. believe their method is the only method to use. Knowing Gerald as I do he is taking all the advice and testing to the fullest. Gerald will find what will work in his rifle. When the holes are punched there will be no doubt his will only be one ragged hole. Go forward young man and have fun.

MAH
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

No I'm not a Southpaw, well, a little, there is a couple of things I do left handed, swing a bat, use a rake or a hoe in the garden. I can also shoot left handed if I need to. I am also left eye dominate. Look thru a spotting scope with my left eye most of the time, shoot a pistol with my left eye. Maybe I'm stuck in the middle. :lol: I have left the barrel as is, there is a company in Arizona that can blue the SS barrel.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Ron's barrels are quite good. I have a few of them on various single shots. One of them is a 15lb bull barrel Shiloh with a 1:16 ( non-gain ) RKS barrel chambered in .45-2.6 with Dan T's paper patch reamer. It's an excellent shooter.

Chris.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Thanks Coltsmoke, I was just thinking about a left hand twist torqueing the rifle into your left cheek.
Gunmaker, thanks! Would you have a drawing of Dan T’s Paper Patch (PP) chamber? I wonder how it differs from Brent’s .45-70 pp chamber. Steve Brooks is making a pp mold for me for a dual diameter (DD) bullet roughly based on the BA 443535E pp bullet. It will be interesting to see if the DD bullets prove to be inherently more accurate than PP bullets just patched to bore diametern; I don’t think those DD bullets will fit in a case from a PP chamber though. Coltsmoke, what design chamber did you go with. Whatever it was, that rifle sure is a tack driver. Of course the way your yanking the trigger sure doesn’t hurt lol.
Thanks guys
Richard
I just realized that your shooting a .45-2.6 but the case mouth section should be similar to the .45-70....thanks R