Paper Patching ReaLLLLLLLLLL... Good!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: Paper Patching ReaLLLLLLLLLL... Good!

Post by gunlaker »

Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Richard it was chambered with Dans T's reamer for GG bullets.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Went back today and shot a couple of different loads and the 82 gr. load was right on. I only had 8 rounds of it loaded today, I wish I had loaded 12 or 14, I'm sure the hole would have been blown out again.
DSC01866.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Now you're just rubbing it in.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
MAH

Post by MAH »

Woody,

The man is not rubbing it in. He is going for the one hole group at 200 meters. Yep! What is that boy doing to tightening those groups? He knowns how to listen to the wind. :D :D :D :D

MAH
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

wow, I'm impressed..
Now try that with my 72 year old eyes!!! :shock:
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Thanks for the chamber drawing Gunlaker. Coltsmoke you sure have that rifle dialed in... I know what you mean about your eyes Kenny,I’m gonna take my eighty year old eyes and all my marbles and go home...ha ha not really. I did speak yesterday with Ron Smith at RKS barrels and a stainless .458 bbl , gain twist 1:16 with a tapered bore, 1 5/16 OD, 31 inch, is $325 + $75 US to your door. If I get one I’ll make it half round half octagon with a wedding band. BTW I’m looking for a 1885 Win. Action by Meacham, MVA or an original in good shape with curved tang. I’m not sure if I want DS triggers or not. Single set I think are more reliable but I’m happy with a good clean regular trigger.
Regards, Richard
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Richard that sounds like it’ll be an interesting rifle. If I was to have another high wall it would be a meacham with a dst and the lazy S lever. I have one of those and like it. The Helm style lever often raps me in the knuckles.

Ron makes some excellent barrels. He will probably take a while to get it done though.

I have an original dst highwall with an rks gain twist barrel on it. I shout breech seated paper patched bullets in it (.38-50 rem hep ) and it is fantastically accurate.

Let us know how your project turns out. Have you picked a gunsmith yet?

Chris
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Hi Chris,
It is a one month wait for one of Ron’s barrels, not bad at all. Ron Snover is just down the road from me so hopefully he can do the work. If I had a full size lathe and mill I’d do the work myself. I’ll do my own wood work though. Below is the butt stock on my Browning I just finished. My lop is 13 inches and I did not want to cut down the original stock. I just need to checker it.
Your .38-50 sounds like a nice rifle.
Uh oh! How does one post pictures?
Thanks Richard
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

That's fast!

To post pictures I think that you have to host them on another site and post a link to it.

Chris.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Too bad about the picture posting. That one picture posting outfit stole all the photos and held the photographers hostage. So many informative sites don’t have the photos to go with them any longer.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Pic. posting made easy, here you go. Download pics. onto your computer. Then start your thread.

Start your thread and type your text.
Look down in the blue area and click on attachments. Click on the small add files box that will pull up your pics. Choose your pic. and click on it and that will put the file# in the file name box at the bottom. Click on open, Click on the place inline box, then click submit. There you go.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Now Woody, you know I wouldn't rub it in. :lol: You have to verify your load will repeat, I like to see it repeat 3 times. So I'm done showing off. I don't know how many times I've brought targets home and impressed my wife with them, only to go back 3 or 4 days later and have it shoot a 3 or 4" group. That is very frustrating and all of us have probably done it over and over. Just to be fair to Shiloh and the GG guys, here is what a Shiloh and a Paul Jones Money Bullet will do. Grease groove bullet.
DSC01867.JPG
I just can't seem to hit that dime.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Smoke,

I know what you mean about verifying the load. I just spent a couple of weeks working up a load with a new lot of Swiss. Took over 100 rounds to get a satisfactory load. This time it was 6 grains by weight less that the previous lot. Who knew? We will see how it shoots in match conditions this weekend. It better, because I'm loaded for Georgia too. I would hate to start casting and testing all over again with only 1 1/2 weeks between matches.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Thanks for posting how to attach photos. This is the dual diameter bullet Arnie Sietz turned me on to. Steve Brooks cut the mold.I only Had 5 loaded up in unfired brass and didn't expect this at 200 yards.
KIMG0478 (1).JPG
This will be my chicken and pig load for Georgia. My hotter load of 71 gr will be for turkeys and rams. The hotter load holds up better at the longer distance.
This is at 600 with the hotter load. It doesn't show shot #6 that was 18" left when the wind picked up.

HG