MVA Magnum Hadley

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

MVA Magnum Hadley

Post by gunlaker »

In winter up here it gets dark, especially considering that I shoot first thing in the morning.

I normally just shoot with a scope on winter mornings, but have been thinking of the MVA magnum Hadley. Has anyone found the larger hole sizes to be an advantage over the regular Hadley in low light?

Also does it lie flat enough for wiping when shooting at shorter distances? My practicing is at 200 meters and 300 yards for the most part.

thanks,

Chris.
ian45662

Re: MVA Magnum Hadley

Post by ian45662 »

It lays flat enough on my highwall to pass a rod through. I will admit that I have not used nearly all the holes but I guess I would rather have the options and not need them as opposed to needing them and not having them.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I adjust the Hadley depending on the size of the target and the light conditions.
I've found that a 5 inch black bull and a larger Hadley hole make all the
fuzzy go away. but..that's only me and my covered range....
Get the Hadley for sure.
Ken
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I adjust the Hadley depending on the size of the target and the light conditions.
I've found that a 5 inch black bull and a larger Hadley hole make all the
fuzzy go away. but..that's only me and my covered range....
Get the Hadley for sure.
Ken
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Ken I'm not wondering about the regular size Hadley, I've got a bunch of those and have been using them for years. MVA also sells what they call a Montana Magnum Hadley which is larger in diameter and has more holes, some of which are a lot bigger than the ones in the regular Hadley. I'm just hoping that on our dark northern winter mornings that the extra large holes will make an improvement.

I guess I'll just order one today and find out :-)

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

ian45662 wrote:It lays flat enough on my highwall to pass a rod through. I will admit that I have not used nearly all the holes but I guess I would rather have the options and not need them as opposed to needing them and not having them.
Thanks Ian.

Chris.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Gunlaker, yes, the Magnum Hadley is better because it gives the shooter more options(holes) as conditions change. I have 72-year-old eyes(cataracts both eyes) and the Magnum really helps me especially in low light conditions. I believe the bigger physical size of the Magnum also is beneficial in blocking or reducing glare. I haven't used the smaller Hadley in many years. I don't think I know where it is? Also, as an added advantage, the extra mass of the Magnum slows down the backward travel of the Vernier sight staff upon ignition, providing an extra cushioning effect. ( I am just screwing with you here - I couldn't resist - Sorry!)
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Chris-If you do get one.
Please post up your thoughts about it, compared to the std MVA Hadley(what I have).
TNX,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Will do Gary!

Chris.
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

gunlaker wrote:
Also does it lie flat enough for wiping when shooting at shorter distances? My practicing is at 200 meters and 300 yards for the most part.

thanks,

Chris.
Hi Chris,

I use a flexible Delrin rod to clean the gun at long distances.

Gerald
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I do too Gerald, most of the time anyway. Recently I've been using a Tipton carbon fiber rod for those rifles where I don't have clearance problems.

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Chris, I've been using one for close to ten years now. Back before my inter-ocular lens replacement I was up to the third from the largest hole and still couldn't hit much but it kept me shooting while I waited. Since then I am usually using about the fourth smallest hole. I like the large number of apertures. I like the glare blocking. I use it on all my guns including my 22BPCR. If you are wiping with a Delrin rod, no problem, but for cleaning with a Dewey in my case I find it's much better to remove it. I use the little red bag it came in and that is where it stays until the next time since I most often don't know what gun it's going on next. Prior to going to the line when I put in the correct aperture and set the elevation I spin it back three or four holes. Then at the line it's just a matter of getting rid of the spider web and you're good to go. Some like BFD use the standard one hole and drill them out to suit. In my case I would need six or seven and would find that a nuisance. Others like Kurt hate them so much he traded me his for my standard Hadley. If we were closer I would loan you one for while.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

If you use a flexible cleaning rod, it will bend around the Magnum for cleaning. I use a solid rod and have to remove the Magnum for cleaning. I use a blow tube so don't need the wiping during a match.
carl thomas zmuda

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

A flexible cleaning rod is the way to go!
Have a good day!
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I replaced my smaller Hadleys with Magnum Hadleys.

Far more capable to focus your sights to obtain the correct light under cloudy, rainy and dusk and dawn shooting.

It will definitely improve people`s scores when they remember to always adjust before you start shooting a string.